70 RS NOS Parts, WORTH IT?

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by MGB z28, Jan 15, 2017.

1. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    ^^ I don't know how you could live with yourself doing that to someone.

Do they make repop stickers?

2. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

Aug 22, 2015
    st.george utah
    In this day and age,sticker making is trivial.

3. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    GM would have stopped stamping 70-3 RS stuff pretty much right at the end of the run . Why would they waste time and money on a car that they don't make anymore? I'm sure there was enough to satisfy the collision end of the market for the next 10 years or so by the end of the run . What ever was leftover was stored and sold what was left as needed . I do believe that after 10 years gm concidered parts obsolete and sold in bulk to the aftermarket. Gm wasn't in the restoration business or the stockpiling of parts in the 80s . Panel stamping dies are huge and take up space so they were sold . Any real gm stuff would have been made quite some time ago and the sticker would represent that . You can print anything today .

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  4. CasperCasper

CasperCasper Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2015
    It will fit a bit better than aftermarket but aftermarket can be made to fit and is about 1/4 the price. If you are not trying to do a really impressive original car I would recommend skipping the NOS stuff and buying aftermarket. Save yourself the extra $3500.

5. Double R Restorations

Double R Restorations Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2002
    VA
    I agree with Casper!. These nos parts need work too. Some of them are nice and some, not so nice. I went on an nos craze when I got my car and the pieces were all over the place. I have alot of nos sheet metal for the front of my car. My rh fender is nice, the lh fender will need work. It has several places that need attention. The rs header panel was way off. The top and lower pieces are welded together around the headlights and park lights. I ended up separating the spot welds and re-aligning and re-welding. If you have to do this, it might as well be on the repo stuff imo.

6. badazz81z28

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    ^^^ I disagree. Yes, You will not get perfect gaps with original metal, but it fits much better. I have bought reproduction fenders, header panel, and deck lid and the original fit way better. Weld in panels can be much more forgiving as you can tweak those anyways but bolt on metal is critical. After what o have dealt with, never will I buy a reproduction panel

7. joselk1

joselk1 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Waterford, MI
    These are standard front end pieces and not nearly as valuable.

8. badazz81z28

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    ^my point was if those panels sat for sale as long as they have at $1200, the RS for $5k is just the same. Asking too much money for the average person

joselk1 likes this.
  9. CasperCasper

CasperCasper Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    All aftermarket sheet metal

10. MGB z28

MGB z28 New Member

Jan 13, 2017
    AMD? Goodmark? Where did uou get the panels?