'70 only thread

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by Kregb, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Kregb

Kregb Veteran Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Erie, CO
    Not sure if any body else is interested but I'd like to try and put together a list of parts or options that are unique to the 1970 model year. I'm rebuilding mine from a pile of parts and some days it's like the thing is cursed, another one year part that I don't have. So if anyone is interested lets make a list. Post up to five items so that the next guy can have a little fun.

I know the common stuff.

Seats
    12 bolt rear end (option)
    Deluxe door panel
    150 MPH Speedo

And I think I just heard there is something different about the door weather stripping. Not sure whats different or if it really is.

I'm guessing that we can have a list close to 100 items.

2. ronzz572

ronzz572 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 8, 2007
    imperial pa
    What model camaro are you rebuilding? Z28 L78 L34 L65

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  3. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    Deluxe door was not std.

Options with Canadian prices from my site http://www.nastyz28.com/~copo/options.htm

The '70 was the first year Camaro:
    To have an in-glass windshield antenna
    Auto transmission
    Optional 3 piece spoiler was available (COPO 9796)

4. R Mitchell

R Mitchell Veteran Member

Aug 20, 2008
    Schaumburg, IL
    The steering wheel and horn shroud were unique to 1970 and 1 year only.

5. Kregb

Kregb Veteran Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Erie, CO
    Sorry not standard but different for all other years. Sticks in my head because I don't even have my not so good old ones. They are not reproduced, cost a fortune to have restored and cores are like gold.

6. Kregb

Kregb Veteran Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Erie, CO
    Was sold to me as an aborted "Drag race" project supposed to be an LA built L34. Build dates and castings are correct for the parts I have but so much is missing I'm pretty sure its an aborted clone. I'm putting it back together as an L34 but I will never be sure enough to call it anything but a clone.

7. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    Have the GM vintage group run the VIN, if your lucky to have a Canadian car then you'll get a list of options that came with the car from the factory.

Call my buddy George.

George Zapora
    General Motors of Canada
    Vintage Vehicle Services
    CA1-160-001
    1908 Colonel Sam Drive
    Oshawa, ON
    Canada L1H 8P7

Phone: 905-440-7636
    Fax: 905-440-7644

8. al8apex

al8apex Veteran Member

Mar 11, 2005
    scottsdale, az
    the LA cars nearly always had a build sheet under the passenger front seat and / or one on top of the gas tank, that is what makes the LA built cars so "special"

IF it was a L34 it will have the welded in top rear sway bar mounts ... plus the dual exhaust hangers plus the back panel would have been black at one time ...

9. Kregb

Kregb Veteran Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Erie, CO
    This is why I'll never buy a project in progress again. The car was completely gutted. What was left of the interior was in boxes (see thread about trim code 714). The engine and gas tank were in the back of a pickup (see thread about fuel line return). The sway bar mounts are there but the sway bar is not (future thread about sway bar). Build sheets are long gone as is the paint. So like I said what is there is correct there just isn't enough to be positive. I'm not going to say anybody misrepresented this car. I just would not be comfortable saying it was originally an SS L34. I'm going to build it as I would have ordered it: RS/SS L34 Auto and Air. That reminds me the next thread will be interior lighting I found courtesy lights in the interior box.

10. ronzz572

ronzz572 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 8, 2007
    imperial pa
    The rear tail lamp housings should be black in color, also the clear back up lenses should have a spiral circular appearance for 1970 cars