'70 LT-1 Valve Covers

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by ThomasD., Sep 11, 2017.

1. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    Yes, with these roller tip rockers.
    [​IMG]

2. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Mark, what actually hits the dippers? Is it the Comp Cams rocker or the polylocks? Would you need the double extra thick gasket if you ran the stock nuts with the better rockers?

3. COPO

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    If your running with the gasket I showed with polylocks then the top edges of the polylocks will hit the edges of the drippers, not the roller tip rockers. If you use
    stock nuts then nothing should hit. When I had the solid cam I used stock nuts with the Comp roller tip rockers along with those thick
    gaskets and nothing rubbed. I did not try using the stock rocker nuts with the roller cam with the single gasket I showed above.
    I'm using polylocks with my roller cam and had to knock off my drippers. The covers were not worth saving anyways, plus I have a new
    set I bought in Princeton NJ from GM when my wife worked there for 1.5 yrs. GM Parts in Oshawa wanted $250 each for the covers and in NJ GM wanted $250 for both.
    When you go with the thicker gasket the stock valve cover bolts are too short and you'll have to use studs with nuts.

When I get to use the new covers I'll have to double up on the gasket.
    I know a guys with a roller 302 in his 69 RS Z/28 and that's what he's doing
    with no leaks.

Short Polylocks
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  4. COPO

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    Don't use Photobucket cause your pics won't show up.

5. ThomasD.

ThomasD. Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Ok, I'm liking the 3/8" spacer. Never doubled up on gaskets before so which gaskets would be best on either side of this spacer ? Just regular or the metal core?

6. COPO

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    If your setting solid lifters and popping off the covers
    a few times/yr, then get the gaskets with the metal
    in between. I find the singles get mashed in no time.

7. ThomasD.

ThomasD. Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    They are solid lifters so will be occasional adjustments. Better get longer studs for the T handles. Has anybody actually used these spacers?

8. 70ZED

70ZED Veteran Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Calgary, Alberta Canada
    I like those shim plates. I'm running full roller rockers so maybe my LT1 covers can fit using those.

9. BARNFIND

BARNFIND Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 20, 2007
    GPS WENT DEAD...LOST
    With the 1 inch ones you can usually run Stud Girdles if you remove the sheet metal box under the breather and PVC valve. You don't really need the boxes, aftermarket valve covers never have them.