70 camaro rs/ss number matching

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by sal70ss, Dec 31, 2017.

1. sal70ss

sal70ss Veteran Member

Jan 31, 2003
    Auburn NY
    was scrolling through Craigslist while in florida, and saw this listing. Was wondering what your thoughts on this car, regarding the RS/SS option. I'm not a super expert on authenticity on muscle cars but , I owned a 70 RS/SS , and I thought all camaros with the RS option has the wood grain inserts on the steering wheel, shift plate, and door panels? Or some came with the all black interior
    With RS option.
    https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/col/cto/6412534009.html

M

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    I agree that it should have the woodgrain inside. Also, it should have all the dual ring taillamps. The pictures aren't good enough to see if it had those lights.
    Obviously it has been restored as the paint isn't original either with the stripes. It could be originally an RS, but if so, some things got lost in the restoration.

3. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    That car is a mish mash of several interior options. Deluxe seats, standard door panels etc.
    I didn't think the RS automatically got wood grain. I just had a horn shroud with an RS emblem that didn't have the wood grain.
    Chevelle stripes ugh. Hate those on a Camaro.

4. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    wood grain was part of Z87 or Z23 options . Z22 or rally sport was an exterior trim appearance option so the RS option was on the outside . so , it could still be an RS without custom interior . any stripes on a SS ....mehh .

5. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Ocala, Florida
    He's trying to pass that car off on an uneducated customer. 70lt1 is right, too many mismatched parts. Stripes are horrible.

6. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

I agree with twozs, SEE my GM doc below on MY 70 RS/SS.

Z23 special
    interior added the wood horn bar (str wheel) and wood dash

I HATE those 1st Gen Rallies on 2nd Gen Camaros

FactorySpecSheet.jpg RightProfile.jpg tn_IMG_1007.JPG TrimTag.jpg

70lt1z28 likes this.
  7. 70lt1z28

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
  8. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Thanks Dave, What you cant see in pic, is how badly curled the OE dash pad is.....

I need to replace with one of the repro NPD pads.....just one more project I cant
    find time for

9. 70lt1z28

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    You might try a hot air gun to heat the underside and bend back into position. I did mine and it seems to be holding its position. Of course it isn't back on the car yet, so who knows. I also added the two extra clips that the factory forgot.

10. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 5, 2005
    Rockford, MN
    I seen that car on craigslist too last week when I was in Florida. The wheels and stripes turned me away instantly! Didn't even bother reading the full ad.

I sure wish I would of taken the time to try and save my original dash pad 7 years ago! It was nice but had the bad curl. I sent it to 'Just Dashes' to be restored, said they couldn't repair it and ended up recovering the whole thing. It's nice and will never curl but it doesn't have the stitching pattern like originals around the gauge cluster, just a crease.. Maybe I'll buy the NPD version someday and replace it? Only a handful of people would ever notice. Mine is also Saddle with the woodgrain.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018