70 Camaro front end work on 77 Camaro?

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by 77Camaro77, Dec 17, 2010.

1. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Guyton, GA
    I have a 73 and 4 1st gens

2. GOLF72

GOLF72 Veteran Member

Jan 11, 2010
    CORONA, CA
    Rich,
    I love Frankie. Every time I see your ride I trip out. What year is that thing.

3. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Denville NJ
    The 74 thru 77 is different as well. I use the core support from my 74 and it was pretty much the same as the rusty 79 support I took out. The 73 support is curved around the bottom of the radiator and the lower valance hugs those curves. The 74-up support is squared off and the early valance wont fit over the big squared off ends. I used a sawzall and trimmed the heck out of mine. My whole project was a slap together job to get the car out for a particular event(I wanted both my cars there). I didnt have the time or money to go parts hunting. I trashed a set of perfectly good 73 bumper brackets cutting them so they didnt hit the 74 support. Luckily another member here(thanks again L15 pilot) had an extra set for me.

Frankie is being decommissioned in a few months and the parts with the correct support will be going on my 73 Firebird!!!!

Now thats a whole nother story.

4. GOLF72

GOLF72 Veteran Member

Jan 11, 2010
    CORONA, CA
    No, don't kill Frankie. I love that car. But...I am curious what you will do to the firebird. Send pics.

Happy Holidays

5. RickSSR

RickSSR Veteran Member

Sep 22, 2004
    So Cal. USA
    Here's My 76 Camaro with the front and back end change...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RickSSR :cool:

6. GOLF72

GOLF72 Veteran Member

Jan 11, 2010
    CORONA, CA
    RickSS,
    I LOVE THAT CAR. SHE IS VERY NICE. I would not tare tackle the rear end swap. That is very impressive. Hats off to you.

Where in Cali are you located.

7. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Denville NJ
    Frankie started life as a 79. I used all the sheet metal from the firewall foward from my 73 along with the doors,dashboard,interior,rear glass,trim and trunk lid from my 73 as well. When I grafted in the back windo I cut apart the original 79 trunk lid to make the filler panels and used the original 79 window bed but just pie cut it and reposistioned it. The workds "Keep your GM car all GM" keep popping into my mind.

8. Colin89

Colin89 New Member

Jan 6, 2012
    Litchfield, CT
    I know this is an old post but I also have a 77 I want to do the swap on. From what i gather here I would just need the upper and lower valance, the bumpers, grille and lights? Would it make a difference if i used the RS parts instead?

9. 2ndgenhunter

2ndgenhunter Veteran Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Blairsville,GA
    I just posted a 77 with a 70 clip in the online ads. Its food for thought.

10. GOLF72

GOLF72 Veteran Member

Jan 11, 2010
    CORONA, CA
    The core support is the key so you can mount the bumpers. Notice my friggin car has no bumpers. I did the swap in one weekend. It is very easy. :confused: