70-73 rear Quarters grafted onto a 77?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by birdnherd64, Dec 5, 2017 at 8:56 PM.

1. birdnherd64

birdnherd64 New Member

Jul 19, 2017
    Simi alley, CA
    Hi,

My son and I are working on a '77 Camaro we bought for him to be able to Rally Race.

It was a non-descript 3speed column shift auto V8 I bought from the original owner in Los Angeles. We're well into the CPP Stage III Brake/Suspension Kit install. Not too happy with CPPs customer support, but that's a different discussion...

After watching "Gearz" this season and seeing the easy swap to the 70-73 split bumper front end, I started think about converting the look of the entire car to the 70-73 style (except for the rear glass, as I do prefer the increased visibility of the 74-up models.

My question is in regards to the rear quarters. Are the rear sections of the quarter panels close enough that I could graft a set of 70-73 replacement panels to my '77? I would also be replacing the rear lower valance and the tail light panel at the same time.

I appreciate your help.

Don
    birdnherd64

2. jimrr

jimrr Veteran Member

Jun 12, 2016
    sarasota
    Just do the rear valence and tail lights. It'll look just like the 70_73 and no one will ever notice the different window/quarter panel line. Jmho.

3. birdnherd64

birdnherd64 New Member

Jul 19, 2017
    Simi alley, CA
    that would be terrific. My (untrained) eye thought that the different valance and tail light panel required a different quarter panel shape in that area. I will be a much easier process if all I need to do is drill out spot welds, align and install the new sheet metal.

4. brownbigblock454

brownbigblock454 Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Ohio
    There is some difference in the quarter due to the wrap around tail light that the earlier tail light panel won't cover.

5. birdnherd64

birdnherd64 New Member

Jul 19, 2017
    Simi alley, CA
    So my eye was better than I thought (sadly). OK, so back to my hope that the front part of my '77 rear quarter will have similar lines and will blend into the rear portion of a 70-73 rear panel.

6. brownbigblock454

brownbigblock454 Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Ohio
    The quarter is the same except for the tail light wrap and window. The body line, wheel well, and truck opening are the same. The only variation is the panel variations over the years from the factory.

7. birdnherd64

birdnherd64 New Member

Jul 19, 2017
    Simi alley, CA
    Fantastic!! A lot of careful cutting and fitting and some quality time with my TIG and I'm on my way to the '72 body of my Dreams! Thanks for the info!!