70-72 Rear Bumper End Brackets

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by l16pilot, Oct 29, 2017.

1. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Hurlock, MD, USA
    Over the past 30 or so years, I've accumulated many rear bumpers from 70-73, but never really marked them as to what vehicle they came from. The end brackets changed somewhere through the 70-72 run from a threaded hole to a stud. The threaded hole bracket is from a known original 1970 06B Sport Coupe...I do not recall the source for the bumper with the stud in the bracket. Does anyone know when they changed the end bracket from threaded hole to stud? camaro 70-72 bumper end bracket.jpg

CamarosRus likes this.
  2. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Steve, Where's M21RSZ28 when you need him ?????

Love your captioning skills...give us lessons

I have huge collections of Brackets and dont know squat !!!!!!

Thanks for all you do for this site and the "hobby"

3. l16pilot

Dec 13, 2004
    Hurlock, MD, USA
    Well, it is more a curiosity than anything else since to actually see which type of bracket is used would require mirrors and contortionist skills beyond me.

4. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Are the 73 Rear Bumper Brackets diff than 70-72 ?? Is the rear 73 Bumper Further
    away from Body Shell than Rear of 70-72 ????

th_tn_IMG_0834.jpg

5. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    Yes, as you know the 73 bumper is farther away. This is achieved with different brackets. I used to have several sets of 73 brackets here to compare to 70-2 brackets but I think I sold them all off. IIRC, this has been discussed numerous times up here and several threads had photos. It's anyone's guess if the photos are still viewable but perhaps a quick search?

6. flowjoe

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    I hadn't noticed this little oddity before Steve. As I work through parts I'll pay attention to what my brackets look like...at this point though I doubt I'll be any use with dating said parts as most of the brackets have been pieced together to make complete sets. Do you think it could be a supplier difference between Norwood and LA?

7. l16pilot

Dec 13, 2004
    Hurlock, MD, USA
    Not sure Joe....the one known bumper bracket shown from the 70 06B Sport Coupe was a Van Nuys car. I'm thinking somewhere along the way, engineering realized using studs for the outer brackets make assembly quicker/faster...just curious when that occurred and I do not have the 71 or 72 AIMs which could possibly show the changeover.

8. flowjoe

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    I have the 71 AIM and can check that this evening.

9. jbloake

jbloake Veteran Member

May 1, 2002
    Canada
    image.jpg Bumper regulations were beefed up for 73 and moved the bumper out from the body for a larger rubber filler, this caused a change in the brackets .

10. l16pilot

Dec 13, 2004
    Hurlock, MD, USA
    jbloake - I understand the brackets were different in 73. The two shown in my photos are identical except one has a stud and one a threaded nut...neither are from a 73. So, would GM have changed the bracket construction and not changed the PN?

flowjoe likes this.