$6,357 quote for T56 & conversion?

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by ProjectCam76, Jan 2, 2018.

1. ProjectCam76

ProjectCam76 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 10, 2015
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Anyone ever heard of Silver Sport Transmissions out of Tennessee? http://www.shiftsst.com/

I told them I wanted to convert my automatic 76' Camaro to a t56 and they sent me a quote of $6,357 that included the t56 and all of the conversion parts. That doesn't include any installation either. Sounds high to me... So what does it really cost and i mean with new parts. I don't want to hear the digging through junk yard deals because I don't have time for that.

2. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

List the parts and price them out seperatly.

3. NOT A TA

NOT A TA Veteran Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Delray Beach Florida
    I believe they bought out Keisler a few years ago who originally started the "Perfect Fit" thing but ran into financial issues or something like that. Without a parts list it's kinda hard for anyone to guess a price. Some clutches etc. cost substantially more than others but that does sound kinda high. You sure that didn't include labor?

Ninja Edit: Quick search popped up this Hot Rod article on the Keisler kit install. http://www.hotrod.com/articles/0608phr-five-speed-manual-transmission/

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    It adds up and you pay a kit/dealer mark up from them taking all your guess work out. The transmission alone now with 2018 price increase is $3200. A driveshaft with yoke $500, crossmember $350, flywheel/clutch set $500, bellhousing $350, shifter handle $120, pedals $120, hydraulic clutch linkage/slave $750, speedo stuff for mechanical, all the pig tails $100 or so. Reverse lockout kit is $200 or so....hardware too.

I can see $6400 especially if shipping is part of that. For a Auto to T56 swap there are a lot of parts needed. If SST it’s a complete 100% swap over kit, that’s accurate or close to it.

Can you post the invoice?

5. orkin

orkin Veteran Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Georgia
    I did a manual to T56 swap a few years ago and found the Hurst kit to be a little more than finding everything one piece at a time, but not totally unreasonable. With several days on The Google I was able to save some money, but I also ordered the wrong scattershield and crossmember the first time around.

6. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

Jan 8, 2004
    N. Massapequa, NY, USA
    I have dealt with SST in the past and they are a good company with excellent support.

That being said, I have a TKO in my 79 and it was simple to install. A friend of mine did the T56 in his 1990 Mustang and he had nothing but problems and re-do's, meaning they had to pull the tranny to change the throwout bearing twice, he had shifter issues and had to open up the floor to fit the trans. He originally kept the cable/quadrant then due to the fact he could not adjust it correctly he flipped to hydraulic and then it failed. He used American Power Train, another good company.

If you don't need the 6th gear go with a TKO, they are ALMOST as strong but fit the tunnel, use a standard bellhousing, you can use a manual clutch peddle.

redriderjf87 and ProjectCam76 like this.
  7. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Veteran Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I did my auto to TKO600 swap about 2 years ago for under $4,000 buying all new parts. Like others, I looked at what the swap kits included, and took my time piecing it together.

ProjectCam76 likes this.
  8. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
  9. ProjectCam76

ProjectCam76 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 10, 2015
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Yes, give me a couple days.

10. redriderjf87

redriderjf87 Veteran Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Quad Cities, IL
    For what it's worth, SST was about $400 higher than Hurst Driveline when I was TKO shopping. It might not be bad to get a 2nd quote to compare.