5speed from 96 3.8v6 camaro in my 76

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by daves 76 rs, Dec 24, 2006.

1. daves 76 rs

daves 76 rs Veteran Member

i found a 96 camaro in my local junkyard with a 5speed trans. i was wandering if this would bolt up to my 350 in my 76, and would it hold up to my 350 ive got around 300-325 horse power and i plan on staying in that horsepower range. i was thinking it may be close to what would come out in the 4th gen v8 camaros. i dont plan on racing it's mainly just a street daily driver during the summer. any help is appreciated.

2. dannyUAL767

dannyUAL767 Veteran Member

Sep 30, 2001
    Fernandina Beach, FL
    Dave, I just read a tech reply article on this very subject. I think that it was by Marlan Davis, Hot Rod magazine tech guru, in the Dec 06 or Jan 07 issue.

This V6 tranny will not hold up to very much power at all. Thats why the 5-sp was never offered behind a V8 from GM. You've got way more hp/torque than this trans was ever designed for.

I don't think that its a straight bolt-in to old school Chevys, either.

This 5-sp trans is absolutely nothing like the beefy T56 6-speeds that came in 4th gen F bodies.

I think that it might live a while if you could keep your foot out of the throttle. I know that money is always an object but if it were me, I'd pass on this weak 5-sp and save my money for a strong transmission that could take the stress of a decent V8 ;) .

Last edited: Dec 25, 2006
  3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Do you want to go through the work and expense of putting a transmission that won't last? A T5 isn't enough transmission for even the worst smog 350 ever made. A 160hp smogger 350 still has torque, and torque will break a weak transmission.
    You are much better off putting your money into something else that can be expected to last once it is in the car and running.

4. daves 76 rs

daves 76 rs Veteran Member

thanks for all the input, i also was thinking of getting a 6 speed out of my friends 92 camaro, it's a factory tune port 350 so i was thinking it would surely hold up. any suggestions on this, also i was looking in popular hotrodding and they used a kit in their project g28 camaro, would this kit work with this trans. the kit used the factory console and everything it looked like a really nice setup

5. 1981z28owner

1981z28owner Veteran Member

Nov 28, 2005
    midwest
    is the 92 camaro tranny original? the T56 did not come out until the 1993 camaros i thought. 92 camaro should be a 5 speed. anyone else have any thoughts?

6. ChillPhatCat

ChillPhatCat Veteran Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Ballston Spa, NY
    We've got a '97 camaro here with a 3.8L and 5 speed, I threw a cam in it a couple years ago, and it dyno'd around 205 at the rear wheels (~240 at the flywheel) and it's never had any problems at that power level. But I wouldn't consider putting more than 300 Hp through a T5.

All 350's in the third gens came with a 700R4, there were no manual options for the 350 (except for the corvette ZF transmission in the firehawk).

Last edited: Dec 25, 2006
  7. dannyUAL767

dannyUAL767 Veteran Member

Sep 30, 2001
    Fernandina Beach, FL
    posted by Chill,
    I'd bet the 97's cammed V6 doesn't have near the torque of a V8. This is what is going to break that T5.

No third gen F bodies with 350s came stock with manual transmissions ;) .

8. ChillPhatCat

ChillPhatCat Veteran Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Ballston Spa, NY

Nope not close... it dynoed about the same torque as it did Hp. I think the rating for the T-5 is about 300 ft-lbs, certainly lower than most 350's put out.

9. chevroletcamaro

chevroletcamaro Veteran Member

Apr 8, 2006
    Sevierville,TN
    The t5 was offered behind the 305's, but never the 350's. I've been debating the t5 swap for awhile now, mainly because its so damn cheap. I def. wouldnt go with the one from a 96, its a v6 t5 and doesnt stand a chance. U can go with a world class from a 85 to a 93 mustang, but it has something like a 3.35 first gear. The nonworld class has a 2.95, almost as strong as the world class, but a much more driveable first gear. Ive heard from everyone on this board the t5's suck, but alot of 5.0 mustangs are running them. Im no ford fan, but ive seen some mean ass mustangs with stock t5's, and they're doing just fine.

10. Boyd

Boyd Veteran Member

Nov 17, 2004
    Thornton, CO
    So what is required to bolt a WC T-5 from a 5.0 Mustang to a Chevy small block? Did you use a special bellhousing and/or clutch?