5gen 2012 Camaro center console in my 1970

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by Tpichevy, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    Not sure exactly the detail of your question. But if your wondering if there is interference under the dash where the console sits, you can trim the side panels to fit around any A/C items. The side panes are very thin and are not that ridged. Hope this helps.

2. Goat

Goat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 7, 2001
    moncure, NC
    That's what I'm asking. Right now my dash is out and it is hard to tell if there will be any interference between the console and the Vintage Air unit. Thanks.

3. hoppin5478

hoppin5478 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    You'll have to trim the side panel back a little if your Vintage Air unit is sitting in the same spot as mine and your console is as far forward as mine. I wound up slightly trimming back both sides because the driver side was awfully close to the gas pedal. Like Green Hornet said they are very thin and easy to work with. I used a pair of tin snips and a box cutter to trim mine.

4. Goat

Goat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 7, 2001
    moncure, NC
    Mucho Gracias.

5. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I am almost finished modifying mine for the install. It requires almost no mods to fit and it looks stock. Click on my build thread page 36 to see the pics on how to mount it. I have a few more steps to finish the install.

6. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
    I'm still curious to see how this fits with an automatic (particularly the 73-81 style automatic)

7. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Here is a simple diagram of the wiring coming out of the rear headphone jack and the lighter in the back and how it connects to the harness from under the dash. The one I have was cut from under the dash so it is just a pigtail. Thought it might be helpful to someone. I am not using the headphone jack. I popped it out and am replacing it with a USB charging port.

upload_2017-9-4_22-46-34.png

8. Tpichevy

Tpichevy Veteran Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Boise id
    When hooking up sig lighters do you think the factory 2nt gen Camaro dash harness is able to handle a cell phone charger that are built into the 5tg gen console? I'm nervous about the factory wiring being to small and getting hot being overwhelmed...

9. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I got a factory connector that plugs into one of the open switched ports on the fuse box and wired directly to that with 12G wire to manage that issue. 14G is all you need but I went up one to be safe. A USB with a phone plugged in doesn't pull much power.

10. CAMeeks

CAMeeks Veteran Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Deer Park, TX
    If you think about it i believe a usb cord is 24awg or smaller.