5gen 2012 Camaro center console in my 1970

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by Tpichevy, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Tpichevy

Tpichevy Veteran Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Boise id
    Found pics of a 68 with the 5 gen and wanted to try it. Found a 2012 Camaro 6-spd console on eBay for $180 shipped complete and replaced the console lid with a SS Camaro (leather and silver stitching) $50. Just finished wiring the cigarette lighter outlets (2) and got it installed and I'm more then happy with the way this fits! It's like it was ment to be for these cars! Only part I'm not sure what to do with yet is the traction control button and the hole for the Ebrake lever.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    Rene Melten, NOLAZACK and rfurley like this.
  2. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Ocala, Florida
  3. Tpichevy

Tpichevy Veteran Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Boise id
    Next is the ugly wood door panels haha I'm going to go with a factory black panel with silver stitching to match the console I think.....Black/silver to match the paint

4. CamaroGP

CamaroGP Veteran Member Gold Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Summerfield, Florida
    The E-brake hole could be turned into a slot for a cell phone and/or a place to put an extra cigarette lighter or USB port.
    You are right about the fit and look. Like it was designed to fit both generations.

Tpichevy likes this.
  5. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    I have been waiting for you to post pics on this. Looks really good great job. What trans are you using, Muncie or something different? If your using a Muncie how well does the console fit with the shifter hump? How did you mount it to the floor? Again great job

6. Tpichevy

Tpichevy Veteran Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Boise id
    I have a t-5 from a 3rd gen. The shifter fits very well. I don't think the location changes much from a Muncie vs t5.....Did t look like the hump was messed with much anyways. I used some 2" aluminum L material from Lowe's and bolted it through the plastic on the console and for now it's just sitting on the hump. Doesn't seem to move around much because it's pushing up nice and snug on the underside of the dash. I was going to drill and bolt it to the hump but I don't see the need.

7. Green hornet

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    I love the modification but I don't think it will fit my shifter location with a Muncie 4 speed. I think the 4 spd shifter is closer to the dash.

8. Green hornet

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    Tpichevy, where is the shifter located on your t5, on the rear of the tail shaft housing or the front of the tail shaft housing?

9. Tpichevy

Tpichevy Veteran Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Boise id
    The shifter location is in its stock t5 spot....I'd say more at the end of the trans. If the location moved it can be much. Plus you could push the console more forward and gain about 1-2" for the shifter location.