540 BBC swap '73 split bumper

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by RollzRoyce, Dec 17, 2017.

1. RollzRoyce

RollzRoyce Member

Aug 19, 2017
    The car is a 1973 on the title, I'm fairly certain the guy just cloned a base to a Z28. I might take off the Z28 badges and make some 540 badges eventually, ha...

2. Plant Engineer

Plant Engineer Veteran Member

May 17, 2017
    Washington State
    Ive got a 540 with AFR 225's in mine. Best bang for your buck although if you are going conservative with the cam and staying Hydraulic you wont be using them even close to their potential . If you use dual plane intake you wont be using them to their potential either. If you use a cowl hood you can fit a Vic Jr. or the truly excellent Weiand. You can even squeeze a 2 inch element air cleaner with a flow through top. Go ahead and figure on getting a 1050 carb. You'll need it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. RollzRoyce

RollzRoyce Member

Aug 19, 2017
    Cool man, thanks. It's great to hear real world advice from a similar setup.

You do mean the AFr 325s, not the 225s though right!? You running SBC heads on your BBC?? Haha, you need to edit it in your signature too, it says 225s down there as well. Yeah they seem like a really good deal and I am ok with under-utilizing them a bit, for now at least!

I am not going to go huge on the hydraulic cam but I am not going to go small either. I have decided, after sound advice here and other places, that my best bet is to call Comp about getting a custom grind made for my setup. I am going to run a single plane for sure as long as I can fit under my 2" cowl. Shoulda planned that out more crap. I am prolly going to go with a dominator on the carb, I'm trying to figure out the lowest clearance dominator air cleaner, I found these R2C Holley dominator low profile setups, I think they might work:

http://www.r2cperformance.com/holley-dominator-air-cleaner-systems-and-filters.aspx

http://www.r2cperformance.com/holley-dominator-air-filters.aspx

And yes I was thinking maybe even 1150 on the carb, 1050 at least though.

4. Plant Engineer

May 17, 2017
    Washington State
    Yeah , I keep thinking about the 225's I had on an SBF.

5. Plant Engineer

May 17, 2017
    Washington State
    Check with Straub. He did my cam and its quite nice although its nothing I couldnt have gotten elsewhere. He doesnt actually grind cams and uses a cam grinder in Chicago to do the work. He's a salesman who will try to move you towards a lot of extras . Just saying. He did nail it on the cam. Keep in mind that if you are using a Dart block you'll want to use a cam cut for a factory roller retainer. The block will accept it and you wont have to use a cam button or rear thrust bearing.

You wont fit a Dominator with a 2" cowl hood and have enough clearnace for a air cleaner. I have a 1050 CFM pro systems little monster and couldnt be happier with it especially compared to running a Dominator on the street but I still have to run a 2 inch cleaner with a drop base and I still rub the hood under a 2 inch cowl. Definitely stay away from the older Edelbrock single planes . They werent any good when they were new. You will need to change springs in the 325's to use a hydraulic roller. The factory springs are too much for a hysdraulic. Seriously though. You'll be able to rev that 540 up to 7K no problem. Do you really want to choke it with a hydraulic roller when decent hydraulic roller lifters cost the same as real rollers?

Also you can get BMW Chrome 540 emblems on Ebay for pretty cheap.

Find the cheapest price you can find on those 325's and Summit will beat it by a dollar and they will be there the next day. I think I paid right at $2400 for the fully CNC chambered heads by shopping around.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-5-Seri...ash=item212d0811ef:g:gLMAAOSwCY9ZpBS3&vxp=mtr

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  6. Plant Engineer

May 17, 2017
    Washington State

Th Hedman 2" primary 65105 headers are what I use. I had mine coated locally but they sell them ceramic coated too. They fit well and use those fabulous ball socket 3" flanges that do not leak. You dont want to use anything smaller than a 2" primary with a 540-572.

I ran my 3" exhaust all the way back with an X pipe after the transmission and Dynomax super turbo long body mufflers. Made the entire exhaust out of sectioned mandrel bends for about $400 total besides the headers. All the shops in town told me they couldnt do it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  7. RollzRoyce

RollzRoyce Member

Aug 19, 2017
    Ok, lots more good advice. I'm going to look into that carb for sure, that or look into a 3" cowl, lol... I am going to check out those Headers too. Thanks again.

8. RollzRoyce

RollzRoyce Member

Aug 19, 2017
    Hey man, how much did your Little Monster end up running you? I just sent in for a quote with them but was wondering if you didn't mind disclosing. Around $1000?

9. Plant Engineer

May 17, 2017
    Washington State
    About that. It was $970 delivered. It has been 100% out of the box. Idles awesome at 1000 even with a very healthy solid roller with floats levels and idle mix perfect with really no adjustment whatsoever. Its the polar opposite of a Dominator.

10. RollzRoyce

RollzRoyce Member

Aug 19, 2017
    Ok cool. I will prolly go that route. The weiand you are running is the 7622?