4spd linkage ?

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by bowtie1, Jun 14, 2010.

1. bowtie1

bowtie1 Veteran Member

Jun 13, 2004
    canada
    Trying to hook up the shifter in my car, and can,t figure the reverse lever out. The reverse lever is bolted to the trans at the top of the lever with 2 holes pointing towards the ground[1 hole for shifter rod the other for the back drive rod].When its hooked up this way the shifter tries to pull the lever towards the back of the car but to engage reverse the lever has to be moved towards the bellhousing, if i try to turn the lever a 180 degrees so the shifting rod hooks up on top i can't hook my back drive rod up. This is the factory Saginaw trans that came in my 79. I'm really lost with this one. Does any one know how this works? Thanks for any advice guys:confused:

2. Rene Melten

Rene Melten Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Blind Bay, B.C.
    The lever points up. Put the trans. into reverse and the ignition into the lock positoin. Look for a lock nut to loosen the back drive rod so you can adjust it to fit. Pull down on the back drive rod from the column to take out the slack and tighten the lock nut on the lower back drive rod. Hope I didn't confuse you.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  3. bowtie1

bowtie1 Veteran Member

Jun 13, 2004
    canada
    No i understand what your saying, but on every pic i could find on line the lever appears to be bolted in the middle and have a hole at each end on top for the shifter and on the bottom for the backdrive rod, mine has the holes both on one end so the backdrive rod would have to come up and over the other rods. I hope this makes sense.

4. bowtie1

bowtie1 Veteran Member

Jun 13, 2004
    canada
    here's a pic i found online.

[​IMG]

5. Rene Melten

Sep 22, 2007
    Blind Bay, B.C.
    I have a feeling that the picture is for muncie and b/w. I'll look into it the best I can.

6. bowtie1

bowtie1 Veteran Member

Jun 13, 2004
    canada
    doesn't a muncie or b\w reverse lever go to tail shaft and saginaw go to the side cover? Or am I looking at the pic wrong

7. Rene Melten

Sep 22, 2007
    Blind Bay, B.C.
    No, it's the lever your talking about that's different. That's what's got me, I went through this 30 plus yrs. back and still have the old Haynes manual. Still trying to figure it out.

8. bowtie1

bowtie1 Veteran Member

Jun 13, 2004
    canada
    Thanks let me know what you find.

9. Rene Melten

Sep 22, 2007
    Blind Bay, B.C.
    You've got a Hurst Comp Plus correct? You need an installation kit that fits a Saginaw. You can find one on their web site. My geuss about the picture was wrong, it's a saginaw diagram. Sheesh I've got to stop geussing. This Hurst kit #3738607 is it or close to it, check first. Hope this helps.

10. bowtie1

bowtie1 Veteran Member

Jun 13, 2004
    canada
    Yes i have the Hurst comp plus and that kit looks to have the right reverse lever,what I'm still wondering is I dug out the original shifter and its designed exactly like the Hurst it even measure's the same, how did they get the factory one to work? I'm trying not to spend any money on this trans as it's a Saginaw behind a bigblock and i have no allusion's of this lasting, but it's what i had with a new clutch kit and it was the quickest and easiest way to get my car on the road.