4rth gen seats into second gen camaro- Instructions,

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by Radio Joe, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Radio Joe

Radio Joe New Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Okay as promised here is the instructions for installing the 4rth gen seats to a second gen Camaro. My car is an 81 Camaro and the seats came from a 99 Firebird.

Seemed most people just weld the 4rth gen and second gen tracks together. Since my car came with crappy racing seats, I didnt have second gen tracks. The original plan was to use the floor mount and tracks from the racing seats and install to the new seats. The floor mounts turned out to be welded crocked and didnt even line up with the floor holes. so I finally broke down and bought some tracks on ebay. At +$200.00 for the tracks, I didnt really want to weld them to the 4rth gen tracks. Knuckledragger sent pictures and a description of his install which was all bolt in. So armed with that I planned a very similar install. Big Thanks to Knuckledragger!!

Materials needed:
    4rth Gen seats ($50 at junkyard)
    2nd Gen seat tracks ($235 on ebay)
    1"x48" square steel tube ($14.00 Tractor Supply)
    6 pcs M8-1.25x50 bolts (<$6 Tractor Supply)
    2 pcs M8-1.25 nuts (<$3 Tractor Supply)
    4 pcs M8-1.25x25 socket head bolts ($0 came with the racing seats)
    16 pcs 3/4"x1 1/4" washers (<$6 Tractor Supply)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For the inside track, simply cut the square tubing to reach from front to back of the 4rth gen seats and drill holes through the square tubing matching the bolt holes in the seat. This will basically act like a spacer. you will then need to drill an additional hole in the front mount of the second gen track so you can mount the track to the original holes of the seats. To assemble, insert the M8-1.25x50 bolts throught e second gen track, add two flat washers and then through the square tubing finally bolting it to the seat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Then for the outside track. I made one small section of the square tube for the rear. For the front, you need to make a small section that will mount to the seat and then mount to the track. because the track is so close to the front seat mount, I had the issue that the track wanted to sit on top of the bolt head for mounting the spacer to the seat, so I decided to use the socket head bolts instead. I drilled a larger hole in the opposite side of the spacer so I could insert the bolt through the spacer. Mount the spacer to the front of the seat track, then mount the spacer to the seat. Dont forget the 2 flat washers between the track and spacer. then using the M8-1.25x50 bolts for the rear mounting.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Here is the tracks mounted fully and then the seat mounted to the car

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The install was really super easy so I hope this helps someone else with the install

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    sandiego74 likes this.