40 x 50 shop

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by 78LTCAM, Aug 4, 2009.

1. 78LTCAM

78LTCAM Veteran Member Gold Member

Nov 13, 2002
    Fort Worth,Texas USA
    Well I will start out with a start to finish on a metal building. I finally made it happen after years of planning and saving. I picked the 40 x 50 size (2000 sq ft)because I thought it would be about right as I had cars to store and cars to restore. LOL. The slab was really a basic slab except in the area where the lift was going to go I poured it extra thick. Get your stub ups in for your utilities now. I had some good friends of mine give me a good price on the concrete work.
    The building was a 40 x 50 with 12 foot high walls. I upgraded on a couple things and glad I did now that its over with. I went with the I beam "A" frame as the main support so I would have a hoist point. (Damn handy!!) I also went with 100% galvanized structure components. It was a bolt together opposed to a weld together. I also went with the 3" vinyl backed insulation. Im in Texas. LOL! 1 walk thru door and 1 10 high and 12 wide garage door. My friends and I built it ourselves. Saved me alot of money (except in beer.) doing it that way and it wasnt that hard since it was a bolt together. The bldg. came from penn. as where most of them do no matter who you buy it from.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  2. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nice!

How much of a difference do you notice with the insulation???

3. 78LTCAM

Nov 13, 2002
    Fort Worth,Texas USA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am an electrician so I did the wiring and such. Feed was underground from the house panel on a 2 pole 60 amp breaker. I have a lift and a welder and have never tripped a breaker. Your needs may vary. The shop seemed soooo big when it first went up! LOL That was a few years back and I have got a lot of stuff in it now. It is all car stuff though and the shop has meant many things to me and many people. We have an annual car show and shop party. Some of you you may have seen the post in the Texas area forum. It is a haven for hot rods on the weekends. It is a place for me to go and be in my car world. My wife says if there was a bed out there she would never see me. I do like a beer now and then so I built my own bar so I wouldnt have to drink and drive. LOL I highly suggest that whoever has been dreaming about something like this to motivate in some manner. Start saving a little money at a time, clear some land, pour a slab or maybe just sit on the back porch with a beer and visualize your dream. Thats what I did and after countless years it finally happened. And to those spouses that dont understand. You shouldnt have to. Just support the dream!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  4. olstyle

olstyle Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Crestwood IL.
    That is just plain SWEET!!!

5. Teamchevy

Teamchevy Veteran Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2008
    Peterborough, Ontario
    Now that's a garage!!

Dave
    :bowtie:

6. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    Nice garage. You find that now matter how big the garage is, it's never big enough and you'll have if full in no time! LOL!

7. Venom73

Venom73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, Ky
  8. sooner

sooner Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Perry,Ok
    Very nice! how long did it take to put it together?

9. 78LTCAM

Nov 13, 2002
    Fort Worth,Texas USA
    Hey Kamikaze. The insulation makes a huge difference! It can stay 10 - 15 degrees cooler or warmer in the shop. It was an additional 1700.00 bucks but I cant imagine not having it. No matter where you live. One VERY important thing that I was advised to do that I didnt do was to put chicken wire over the rafters before I laid the insulation down to keep the insulation from sagging. I could kick myself in the butt for not doing that.

Soonerjay. The build time was not bad at all. It took only about seven working days using 5 people to build it. That was over a three week time frame. Another piece of advice is when to order. I planned and ordered mine so it would arrive in june when its not so frikin hot in Texas. There is a 6-8 week lead time. Shop got delayed and didnt arrive untill august. Every day we worked on the shop it was above 100 degrees! We started before dawn by worklights and was done by noon. The metal was so hot by noon you couldnt even touch it by hand. All I can say is I have some very good and loyal friends. LOL