4 speed reverse lights

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by BIG CHEVY, Nov 1, 2012.

1. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    I believe that is a TCS switch

2. Prototype4342

Prototype4342 Veteran Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Las Cruces, NM
    Oh, I guess I'll have to buy a reverse light switch then. Any way I can test this to see if it is a TCS/reverse light switch?

3. Orange71

Orange71 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 31, 2001
    Finksburg, MD
    That is the TCS switch and it has nothing to do with reverse or the reverse lights.
    In that pic you can see the reverse shifter arm. The empty hole is where the back drive connects to. From there to the coluum arm under the hood.
    As Chris mentioned the reverse switch for a 4-speed car is mounted on top of the steering coluum, inside near the fire wall. There should be 2 wires (purple, & light green).
    My back drive is long gone so I took those wires and added a switch on the dash (not activated by the shifter).

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  4. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    You prolly shift ALOT smoother into reverse than I do,lol.I thought about losing the linkage.

5. Prototype4342

Sep 10, 2010
    Las Cruces, NM
    I will probably have to do that, as backdrive linkage is very difficult to come by these days.

Now I just need to figure out how to hook up the clutch safety switch while I still have my column dropped.

6. Orange71

Orange71 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 31, 2001
    Finksburg, MD
    Back in the day a lot of guys, me included, removed it due to interference with headers and/or having it hang up shifting into reverse.
    With it removed, it was a PITA to deal with turning the coluum to get the key out when parked & remembering to turn it the other way to turn off the reverse lights while driving.

7. Prototype4342

Sep 10, 2010
    Las Cruces, NM
    Sometimes I have to turn my column to be able to remove the key since it thinks I'm not in park, I need to just zip-tie it up or something.

Mine sticks in reverse even though the shifter moves out of it :screwup: gotta love old car quirks.

8. Rayden2009

Rayden2009 Member Gold Member

May 12, 2016
    Calgary AB
    I need to move my switch to the tranny. I swapped to a tilt column, and unbeknownst to me I put an auto column in. The backdrive connection lever is straight rather then with a ~20 degree bend. I noticed this putting it in but didn't put much thought into it. The result is my reverse lights are on all the time when i'm driving down the road. That bend was needed to fully engage/disengage the reverse light in our 4-speed cars.

Ive been looking around and found this:

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/huu-2480003/overview/

I don't know if it will work for me because I have a stock shifter (I think) on a T-10. Do I need a hurst shifter like that add suggests? If anyone has one of these on a stock T10, let me know.

9. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida

10. Rayden2009

Rayden2009 Member Gold Member

May 12, 2016
    Calgary AB
    Ya, my column still turns but not quiet enough I guess. I plan to remove the backdive and permanently fix the column in the reverse position somehow. Hence the need for a remote switch on the transmission.