4 speed reverse lights

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by BIG CHEVY, Nov 1, 2012.

1. BIG CHEVY

BIG CHEVY Veteran Member

Oct 28, 2011
    dallas ga.
    i just started on lighting. i want to check my back up lights on my 79. i see on the diagram its circuit 24 light green. i need to know how i can test that. how do i make these work without the borg warner in? how do i make em work after tranny install? i know theres a clutch switch on the pedal but what controls the lighting of the whites? any direction will be appreciated. and maybe a pic of what controls the lighting. dont even know what it looks like or where its installed. this baby didnt make it to me whith that part i guess.

2. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    Pretty sure the switch for back up lights is on the column. The back drive from the tranny moves it.

3. Z28 Mark

Z28 Mark Veteran Member

Feb 14, 2001
    San Jose, CA.
    I bought a kit from Hurst (at the local speed shop) that had a bracket and a switch (small lever actuated switch) that mounted near the shifter levers. I wired this into the light green wire and the other side of the switch to +12 volts. Put it in reverse and it toggles the switch and lights the reverse lights. It allowed my car to pass safety inspection. :D

4. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    It should be the half circle whitish palstic piece on the upper back of the column,before it goes thru the firewall.Should have two wires on it.

5. BIG CHEVY

BIG CHEVY Veteran Member

Oct 28, 2011
    dallas ga.
    Nice......but how does my 4 speed tranny move ANYTHING in the steering column from way down under the middle of the car?

6. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

the back rod linkage turns the collar on the column.

[​IMG]

budro6968 likes this.
  7. krabben1

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    Steering column,engine side of firewall,just after the firewall,youll see a tang with a piece of linkage that Bonzo picced,going down to a swivel on the frame,the a linkage to the shifter lug on the trans.

8. Prototype4342

Prototype4342 Veteran Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Las Cruces, NM
    Anyone know how to wire it up without linkage? The switch I think is for the reverse lights looks like this

[​IMG]

9. krabben1

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    The switch is inside,on the column.Just take the two wires that go to the half moon plastic and put them on a switch.Youd have to fix your tang on the steering shaft in the "up" position so you wouldnt get locked out on your steering.

10. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    Like I said, back drive....the linkage shown above is it.