4 link vs leaf springs

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by TCinthe6, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

With all due respect...you seem to be bashing everyone...even the ones who have run both, (like you say should be the only ones chiming in). If anybody is going to fork up the money for the expensive 3/4 link IRS in the rear, you bet your butt the rest of the car will certainly not be stock. It will always be an apples to oranges comparison. Sharing experiences with what people have and their results is the only true thing anyone can post up here. No different than a normal Joe driving a car saying that it handles great, and a race car driver driving the same car saying it drives like crap. Some people are looking for 1/4 mile info, some road/auto course info, some street info. You posting up every third post bashing the guy before you isn't helping this thread. Please don't take this personal...it's just what I'm seeing in this thread.

John Wright and sandiego74 like this.
  2. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

I wasn’t, I was just giving things that are unknown and why it was an apples to oranges comparison.

It looks like a stock ‘69 C10 short bed is around 3500, I thought it would be more than that.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  3. russelljones48

russelljones48 Member

So, here's the budget approach I used.. and I am VERY happy with the results. My first advice would be to call Keith @ Custom Works Products.. I took his advice and bought and installed composite rear leafs with his HD shackle and U-bolts kit. That combination along with the "Herb Adams" mod to the front leaf mounts and his DA shocks has solved a number of the inherent problems with the '70's live axle design. Because the composite springs are basically the same thickness (5/8") for their entire length they reduce or eliminate spring wrap and side to side movement (see Keith's video). My car has a 373 posi and about 500 lb' of torque - I don't drag race but I have not experienced any axle hop and the rear stays put during hard cornering. If I remember correctly those pieces were about $1200 - $1300..

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Trying to keep this to a pros and cons discussion isn't bashing. I'm just about to toss the keyboard from the "leafs work" comment. Its just silly! We all know leaf springs work, they were on the cars for many....many years. That's what they raced on years ago.... There is no argument that slapping some leaf springs on a car it will handle just fine. However aside from cost, people are neglecting to talk about actual pros and cons to each set-up. We don't need people in here who don't sell link set-ups but rely on Leaf Spring sales in a business to be bashing DSE or other systems. Lets just discuss what you get from each system, not that one works fine. Especially from folks who only have driven on leafs.

5. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have to wonder, that if leafs were so bad, why did they not change them years ago, GM could see the others using them , they chose not to, because they knew that for the money they were great, and if they put in a different more complex system, just for the sake a maybe a couple of people that would really notice it, the rest wouldn't pay the extra it would cost, I believe that you can get a great handling leaf setup , that will do what the DSE system will do , at a much lower cost, and the little bit that might be missing, would not be noticed , except in your back pocket, that is all there is to it.

6. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

The only thing I can think of is in mass production, there is a ton of time and money in manufacture (when making hundreds of thousands of cars per year) to be saved by the automaker by using leafs.

dave@ztech likes this.
  7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Nobody said leafs are bad. From a manufacture stand-point...yes time, cost and simplicity was a huge factor I'm sure...But what happened in the 1982 3rd gen Camaro and up to 2002? Performance cars of today? Leafs are gone...replaced with torque arm suspensions etc.. Ask why this was done? Performance increase on the car design maybe?

DSE only cost so much because its DSE.....Lot of modern vehicles from the factory use very similar set-ups. Even my 2018 pick-up has a fancy link system installed with air bags.

8. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

Some small things I can think of are, link style lets you use a coil-over spring. Slightly cheaper and easier to change out and you can get a progressive spring. Pliable on small bumps but harder when compressed. Link style suspensions allow you to easily adjust anti-squat and anti-dive depending on how you are going to use the car. Straight line vs. road racing. A link suspension can offer multiple mounting points for the shocks and the pan-hard (or Watts link) to fix issues caused by raising/lowering the chassis on the suspension. The whole package goes up or down instead of adding a block to the leaf perch. Link style will also easily re-adjust pinion angle after lowering. Pinion angle changes less during acceleration and braking without leaf flex.

Do I know how all this works together and/or affects each other??? Nope. Not at all. I will have to learn, which could be a total PITA instead of just using leafs which have been taking care of business for decades.

9. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

to be fair, Mary also swapped to a whole new front subframe and added an engine with an additional 200HP at the same time.

10. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

I will agree the driver makes the difference many times.

Buddy had his 77 TA and 275-50-15 tires on rear and 235 on front.
    His engine had the performer intake 6x heads and 236@ .050 cam headers ETC.
    I had a 1982 Mustang with inline 6 cylinder 200" with the catalytic converter gutted.
    I had M50-14 on rear and 235-60-14 on front I would slide the back end around corners just so slightly.

We track raced and I would catch him in the corners because i was not scared to bump my tires off the curbs just a bit. So I went in HOT.
    He was afraid to scuff his cragars.
    I was just about bumper tagging him before he hit the straight and pulled away.

Fun stuff.

Stick on whatever you can afford and what you like and make it work and drive the snot out of it.