4 link vs leaf springs

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by TCinthe6, Feb 7, 2019.

1. 79T/Aman

79T/Aman Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NazstyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

when it comes to link suspension no one has been more successful than DSE but only in the hands of good drivers and enough power to over come the competition, I'm not knocking DSE by any means they have proven themselves but to flat out say that a leaf spring car can't corner does no one any good.
    Here is a video of an all bolt on street car, un-cut, ON LEAF SPRINGS out running a famous 200K DSE built C10 with a good driver too.

72BIGBLOCK likes this.
  2. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

Apples & Oranges

3. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

Cool video
    Thanks for sharing

4. 79T/Aman

your point?

5. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

Horsepower levels, gearing, weight, aerodynamics being different come to mind.

6. 79T/Aman

exactly, that C10 has 200 more hp (LS), 335 tire all around, full aftermarket frame weight unknown VS that Trans Am 455 Pontiac, 255F 285R tires, stock suspension (upgraded of course) 3700+ LBS

7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Are we really going to compare a C-10 truck to a Trans Am??? Like mentioned, many of you are thinking one sided because a car still drives and operates on leafs. That’s not an objective discussion. Besides a cars performance is more than the rear suspension.

FWIW, out ran a 5th Camaro at LS Fest in ‘17, not because I had more power or an elite suspension, he sucked at driving and was scared to push it in the corners. With a different driver he would have been hard to catch with the HP he had. Like mentioned a video of a TA performing better than a $100k truck doesn’t mean anything. The real test would to take very similar cars, one with leafs and the other with your choice of suspension with the same driver.

Remember the Pozzi Camaro with leafs? Was it beating the other 2nd gens with the Q-link? It don’t think it was. Finch and Tucker were dominating in the 2nd gens. I know it’s more than the rear suspension alone, but the whole package performs well.

The Pozzi Camaro went from leafs to the Hotchkis 3-link to now an IRS. Hmmmm, for a competitive edge?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  8. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I think Dave’s point is that leaf’s can still be competitive in non-pro events. I’ve got PTFB Comp leaf springs on my car and keep up with the high-dollar CAM cars at my local autocross. My car handles FAR better than I thought it would for what it has, and, sure, it could use some stiffening, and I do have a bit of lateral movement of the rear ended, but it’s nothing serious. I definitely don’t have any wheel hop. PTFB and Custom Works Performance have products to significantly reduce these symptoms.

If I had the money, would I go with a 3/4 Link system? Probably not, honestly. The adjustability is nice. I’m not trying to make my car the fastest it can possibly be. I just want it to be competitive and, more importantly, to be fun, and I think it’s fun doing it with an old, weak (200 HP?), heavy, leaf-sprung car.

John Wright likes this.
  9. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

^^ this is why it’s such a subjective discussion. You can’t miss what you never had. Leafs work....I don’t know how many times it can be said...

Now unless you have driven a link car, you have no point of comparison. The 4-link is expensive and not for everyone, but it DOES have benefits over leafs.

sandiego74 likes this.
  10. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Of course. Never said it didn’t. Obviously they do, or else there wouldn’t be such an aftermarket for them. I just think that if someone is asking if something is worth doing, it’s generally because money is an issue, and unless you’re trying to have the fastest car possible, which would take a lot more than just an expensive 4-link, than leaf springs will be fine and the money can be spent on other go-fast/fun parts.

No facts here. Just subjective experience.