4-bolt Factory Roller 350?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by El Guapo, Jan 3, 2005.

1. El Guapo

El Guapo Veteran Member

Feb 18, 2004
    Greensboro, NC USA
    Did they make such an animal? If so, what was did it come in? Casting numbers? I'm looking to build a roller stroker and would like to start with a seasoned block like this.

2. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    I don't think there is such a thing.
    I've never seen a 1-piece rear main block with 4-bolt from the factory

3. El Guapo

El Guapo Veteran Member

Feb 18, 2004
    Greensboro, NC USA
    I didn't think so. Darn -

4. mjoc

mjoc Veteran Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    I believe the ZZ430 was a roller with 4 bolts but i am not sure.

5. Dirt Reynolds

Dirt Reynolds Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 17, 2003
    BC, Canada
    Unless I'm mistaken, 4-bolt main 350 truck blocks with the one-piece rear main seal are roller blocks, however, during the late '80s they were fitted with flat-tappet cams unlike the 2-bolt roller block engines in passenger cars which got the hyd roller cams. The Corvette was the only passenger car with the one piece rear main seal, hyd roller cam, and 4-bolt mains.

------------------
    'Silver Bullet' 1977 Z-28 413" SB
    11.73 @ 115.10 and dropping...
    Old Vortec combo:
    12.15 @ 110.52
    1989 GTA L98
    Daily driver

6. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Philly area
    I'm with Dirt on this one. Vettes and truck blocks were the only ones with 4-bolt mains and the truck blocks may not be fully machined for a roller cam bolt-in (lifter bores not machined flat on top to take the 'dog bones', lifter spider bosses may not be drilled/tapped and the block may not be drilled/tapped for the factory cam retaining plate). All that is fixable but would probably cost about the same as just having a 2-bolt block machined for some aftermarket (or factory?) 4-bolt caps.

7. rustbucket79

rustbucket79 Veteran Member

Up in my neck of the woods around 20 percent of the new style blocks were 4 bolts and set up for roller cams. Your best bet is to look for a 350 out of a 1 ton van or pickup.

------------------
    Custom Auto, your source for quality machine work, cores and new parts at competetive pricing right here in British Columbia 1-888-563-4050
    A Canadian, EH? (with a 10 second street car)

[This message has been edited by rustbucket79 (edited January 03, 2005).]

8. Air_Adam

Air_Adam Veteran Member

Yes there is such a thing. Corvettes had them from '87-91, Camaros/Firebirds had them from '87-92, and almost all truck 350s from '87 and up had roller blocks. Not all trucks used roller lifters, but the blocks were cast and prepped to use roller lifters anyway.

I can't remember the casting numbers, but check out www.thirdgen.org and it shouldn't take long to find them.

9. Air_Adam

Air_Adam Veteran Member

Sorry.... Camaros/Firebirds used the same block as the Corvette, but used 2-bolt mains. The Corvette had 4-bolt mains.

10. 1978LT

1978LT Veteran Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Poquoson, VA USA
    Penix would know. He is always into those engines. (Pssst hey man found me a roller block yet? [​IMG])