3rd times a charm(kinda long)

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by merlin007, Oct 9, 2005.

1. merlin007

merlin007 Veteran Member

Jun 27, 2005
    Cincinnati, OH U.S.
    ahhhhhhhh, finally got her out on the road for the first time in ten years. (went into the army and came home to a very "aged" camaro) built a 462 bb, built a manual valve body TH400 for it over the past couple years. anyways, backtrack about eight weeks ago. have the motor in the car ready to break in the cam. got her on life support. battery on the floor, fuel from a gas can, garden hose providing the coolant. all of this since i have no front end on it. start her up, break in the cam, everythings good cept for its leaking water out of a freeze plug on the pass side. do the engine tilt, pry, cuss, hammer, cuss, drink thing and finally get it out and replaced. about four weeks ago have everything but the radiator in. got it running trying to tune the timing and carb in a little bit. sounding good, no leaks so far. shut it down and go to enjoy a beer and hear something like water running. look down and there is a swimming pool emerging from under my car. some time with a flashlight and find out my starter is leaking water. lol. so i either have yet another freeze plug leaking or the block has somehow cracked on the backside. i am praying its the former. i pull the motor and to my relief its the pass side rear freeze. replace both rear plugs. and now the dilemma, do i replace all of them??? naw, if it aint broke, dont fix it right. i put the motor back in. now its this morning, radiator in, fenders, etc and were ready to roll out. start her up, do a final check before we hit the road. everything great. open up the garage door check underneath for anything i might have left under the car and WTF a huge green puddle!!!!!!!! flashlight out and the freeze plug under the pass motor mount is pissing. apparantly lightning can strike three times. well its 53 degrees outside, my subdivision makes a perfect 3/4 mile circle if you take the right streets, so f&*k it, were going for it. and go it did. with no "real" tuning at all, this motor rips. never even got on it and was completely impressed. took the left to complete the circle slowly took it up to about 4,000rpm hit second and the rear broke loose, fished to the right and hooked back up with loud bark. pulled back in the drive with the temp only reading about 120*. yeah i have to pull the motor again, this time replacing EVERY plug, but i dont even care now. that 45 seconds or so was worth waiting ten years!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Jet

Jet Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Let me be the first to say congrats, and also the first to say WHERE'S THE PIX???????? [​IMG]

3. Batman

Batman Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Mission Viejo, CA, USA
    Congrats again, and yes, replace all the freeze plugs. Why tempt fate again?

4. rscamaro73

rscamaro73 Administrator Staff Member

Ain't that some crap? All those damn freeze plugs took a dump on ya...pop new ones in with SEALANT [​IMG]

Congrats on the dark side....I think you brought upon us this rain on the east coast for the past couple days...lol...

5. merlin007

merlin007 Veteran Member

Jun 27, 2005
    Cincinnati, OH U.S.
    thanx guys, yeah i think that i did bring on the rain. i seriously need to get a digitial camera. i dont even know what they go for now

6. Joekool

Joekool Veteran Member

Feb 4, 2002
    Hollister CA USA
    Go brass, steel plugs suck.