3M Fast Firm sealer 08505

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by szalkuskt, Aug 29, 2009.

1. szalkuskt

szalkuskt Veteran Member

It says on the cartridge for the beige fast'n firm seam sealer 08505 that you can't use it on the interior seams and the trunk. I want to put this stuff inside the trunk seams over cured POR 15 but don't know why they say this on the back of the cartridge. I stopped when I read this. Why?

2. buckeye79

buckeye79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Here is you answer this was taken right from the product data sheet:

*3M does not recommend using this seam sealer in interior passenger compartment or trunk
    compartment applications. An objectionable residual solvent odor lasting up to a month has been
    reported by customers using the product. For seam sealers without this issue, choose 3M™ Ultrapro™
    Urethane (PN 08360/08361) or 3M™ Ultrapro™ MSP (PN 08369/08370).

Here is a link to the data sheet:
    http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?66666UuZjcFSLXTt4xMcNx&cEVuQEcuZgVs6EVs6E666666--

If you don't plan on sitting closed up in the car for a while, I don't think it will matter. That MEK is pretty nasty stuff.

3. szalkuskt

szalkuskt Veteran Member

well thanks. I plan on doing the trunk seams between the tunk pan and the inner wheelwell,allso all the other trunk seams and also the cowl to firewall gap. I have heard this sealer is better than the brushable. My car is so far from even putting in the interior so I should be fine then. I am doing a frame off resto and the car is a shell. That smell should wear off eventually right 1-2 months? How long should I wait to paint over it and has anyone painted over this stuff? the bottlr says 30 minutes. I was planning waiting a day or two. people who have used the 08505 3M can you help?

4. buckeye79

buckeye79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Smell will not be a problem after that amount of time. I have never used that seam sealer but use 08500 all of the time. I have never painted over it within 30 minutes but I have painted it the next day and didn't have any problems.

5. szalkuskt

szalkuskt Veteran Member

OK gonna do the trunk and the cowl to frewall seam with it then and paint in a few days....

6. szalkuskt

szalkuskt Veteran Member

i put some beads on and it looks like it will take awhile to dry. this "08505 fast and firm" stuff not dry fast. I hope it will. i made some pretty big beads though. anybody use this exact stuff before?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009