3D printer ideas?

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by Da-bigguy, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    I'm expecting delivery in the near future of a 3D printer that also acts as a CNC machine and lazer engraver. It's not a huge industrial machine, more of a home enthusiast/hobbyist type of machine.

I'm looking at ideas on how to use it for producing components/labels and so forth for my car so if anyone has any part ideas they'd like me to try, let me know.

2. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

Feb 1, 2007
    South Park Pa
    image.jpg image.jpg It's amazing the things u can do with those 3d printers, my 14 year old son makes the deluxe interior donuts for the 72-73s and just finished his first prototype 71-72 style that will be available soon. He's also made various things for other members

3. Da-bigguy

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    I agree, I really like the idea of being able to create parts as needed. What printer does your son use?

4. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My son has one he hasn't finished putting together yet. I keep offering to help him finish it, but you know how it goes....

I want him to make me a gauge holder that fits into the 5th Gen console where the front coin tray is. Should be a no-brainer.

What I have noticed looking at parts online is they are typically not smooth, the have micro ridges from the layers of plastic being put down so on finish pieces I think you need to sand and paint. I want to laminate the gauge holder with carbon fiber for the finished look.

If I can't get my son to finish his and make me one maybe I will commission your son Bill since we are both in Pitt! Then he can sell them for all the 5th Gen console conversions out there.

OR if Dabigguy is up for taking a stab at it that would be great, especially if you can cut it in aluminum...keep us posted when you get your machine.

bodymanbill likes this.
  5. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

Feb 1, 2007
    South Park Pa
    He has a Jgaurora prusa i3 clone, with a 200 mm bed

6. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I just looked it up, my son has the 12" Maker farm Pegasus kit

7. Da-bigguy

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    I'm definitely willing to take a shot at it for you when I get mine setup and running. Unfortunately, no idea when I will be getting it. I got through a Kickstarter campaign and it has reportedly been shipped from China and in the US but the UPS tracking number I received just says 'Label printed' and no further updates. That was dated 15 January so over two weeks ago now. However, a bunch of the backers have received it and started working with it with pretty good reviews overall so I'm hopeful it is just stuck in Customs and will be on its way soon.

8. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

May 21, 2014
    Hutto, TX
    Here's a few things I can think of.
    1. 70-71 deluxe door panel handle escutcheons (aka inserts, cups for the interior door handle).
    2. 72-77(?) lower door pull handle inserts.
    https://www.classicindustries.com/product/all-years/chevrolet/camaro/parts/*881135.html
    3. 70 sun visor center support.
    4. 71-74 seat track covers for front of the tracks.
    and this last one is for me . . .
    5. a damn 70-81(?) glove box lamp lens. I can't believe how hard it's been to find one. Figured Firebirds got them, too.

9. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Also did the 70 only plastic seat track guides.

10. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

May 21, 2014
    Hutto, TX
    That's a good one as well.