383 stroker dyno results

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by 1974blackz28, Aug 12, 2017.

1. EmbraceTheEdge

EmbraceTheEdge New Member

Aug 10, 2017
    Washington
    My motor sounds somewhat similar but have never had it tested. I was hoping to be above the 350hp range but that may not be reality.

2. Z73

Z73 Veteran Member

Jul 21, 2012
    woodstock,IL
    Were is your timing at should be more but your cam is a little smaller than what i have!

3. Mike-78 Z-28

Mike-78 Z-28 Veteran Member

Mar 4, 2003
    ElDorado Arkansas
    I've read dyno tests of around 11 hp more than a T350 which stands to reason being a heavier duty trans. My own experience going from a T350 to a 400 was 1 tenth in the thousand foot.

4. Highlife

Highlife Veteran Member

Mar 20, 2016
    Somewhere down in Texas
    Seems a little light to me but the only dyno numbers I've ever saw are the ones that fat kid has. You should talk to him about a custom ground cam. Thrasher and lowend are good cam guys too I've learned a lot from there threads

5. biker

biker Veteran Member

Have a look at Howard's 180265-10. Hydraulic roller, .540 lift. Thats what is in my 10:1 383 and it runs very strong. Take a good look at their specs and these guys here what they think of it for an AC, auto car. I have a 4speed and power brakes, vacuum looks low on the guage, but idles well ar 850 now and brakes work as well as ever. I have zero traction first thru 3rd and it revs super quick. Tons of fun. With your combo, I think it should make 450 at the crank easy.

6. CasperCasper

CasperCasper Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2015
    Also make sure youre not changing your cam to chase hp numbers. The fastest version of your setup will definately not be the one with the highest hp number.

7. hutchenc

hutchenc Veteran Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Wyoming/Colorado
    With a hydraulic flat tappet cam with under 230 at .050 duration and well under .500 lift? No way. That cam isn't much bigger than a stock L-82 cam. Add 10 to 15 degrees of duration along with about .550 lift and yeah, it's a 450HP at the crank motor. Maybe 370 to 380 at the wheels.

8. 1974blackz28

1974blackz28 Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Detroit
    hmmm sounds like the cam I need is going to make this thing less streetable.

Might have to start considering a LS swap

9. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Milford,CT
    With all due respect, perhaps a different perspective.
    With the gearing you have and strong tranny, I'm thinking you can light this thing up and have a ton of fun in your street car with good reliability. Why would you consider an engine swap for what a slip of paper says? With a motor swap, you'll be out tons of cash, still light things up and have a ton of fun in your street car with good reliability. The gain seems to be zero, with the exception of boasting bigger numbers on a slip of paper. Just don't want to see another street driver caught up in a numbers game. If you're racing the car, perhaps.
    FWIT...I also have a 383 mildly tricked out under the hood of my street driven 79. Not interested in getting dyno readings, as I might feel the same exact way as well. My camaro is fun as hell, and I'll leave it at that.

CasperCasper likes this.
  10. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Don't understand unless it's curiosity. A chassis dyno is a tuning tool. And a very good one. Take your jet kit, laptop, timing light and have at it . That way you know what you did, good or bad. The only reason I get my motors run on an engine dyno is for break in, finding leaks or problems, and A/F. I know someone that made 330 hp on three straight pulls on a chassis dyno. That's why we call it the "Dream Crusher". He was expecting well over 400 RWHP. Runs consistent 11.20's. A lot more involved than those numbers. Don't get caught up in them.