350 sbc 12 to 1 pistons

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by Josesalinas223, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Josesalinas223

Josesalinas223 New Member

Jun 4, 2017
    I went to my local hot rod shop and was debating. Sticking with a sbc or just going with BBC...just building a 12 to 1 or 13 to 1 sbc 350 4 bolt main which want to build.. And run e 85 ...is that possible...I got a 79 camaro and a 350 4 bolt main block saved from my truck...I just want 500 or 600 Hp street and strip Camaro. And drive on street...any ideas on heads and cam.. Mind you I.m on a budget.. 1

2. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

12:1 compression with today's gas won`t work. You could run an engine around 9:1-10:1 compression .With nitrous oxide. .with aluminum heads. Or just be patient and save you money. And build a supercharged engine . Thats how I built mine.. I have a 1979 Z-28 RS Camaro Pre-Touring car. with a Weiand 142 mini blower. and 500 HP 377 cubic 8:1 built to the hilt small block Chevy. With the brakes ans suspension to handle it.I did it by just saving my money .and buying parts as I could afford it.No credit cards.I wouldn`t be surprised that most of us here did it the same or similar way, Plain and simple Horsepower cost money.

Attached Files:

3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    12:1 should work with E85. You might want to do more research on what compression ratio is best for E85. Alcohol is low in BTUs and needs a lot of compression to burn. Also, you will need a specially jetted carb to deliver enough fuel to make it run due to the low BTU content.
    To answer your question, yes, it should work if you get it dialed in with the right parts and setup.

4. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    What is your budget? Like Gary said, it can be made to work. I think you're going to find that 500 - 600 streetable horsepower, even at the crank, is not budget friendly. You can get an idea of what horsepower cost by looking at some of the crate engine builders like ATK, Blueprint, etc.

5. jimrr

jimrr Veteran Member

Jun 12, 2016
    sarasota
    If it were me with a 4 bolt main that was solid, with today's shop prices, I would order a roots blower from jegs or summit for $4000.00 and have my 500-600 hp as well as be the coolest kid on the block...