327 Backfire Under load?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by '71StreetZ, Aug 18, 2017.

1. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Maybe the heat shield boots on the plug wires. Those things work, but iirc, they're not cheap. On my 383, I have to run a couple straight, couple 45° and a few 90° ends to keep them from burning. I hear that and I think cam lobe. If it's a flat tappet, make sure you run the ZDDP.

2. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I found the flexible boots from DEI work great. Some of the others are not flexible

xten likes this.
  3. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    I'll have to remember that. Are they expensive too? I guess if you look at the price of good plug wires, they're worth it.

4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

They cost more than the inflexible ones that look them. But you can buy singles if you only need on or two

5. jimrr

jimrr Veteran Member

Jun 12, 2016
    sarasota
    Make sure your headers exhaust manifolds are tightly sealed.

6. '71StreetZ

'71StreetZ New Member

Aug 18, 2017
    Checked the distributor and it's getting full voltage I haven't burnt up this set of wires as I've routed them differently but I found my problem, my #7 plug was fouled out so I replaced them all checked the firing order and all the wires and it runs smooth and doesn't have an issue now

BonzoHansen likes this.
  7. joseph lamb

joseph lamb Member

Jan 1, 2017
    tampa florida
    I just hooked up my vacuum advance to direct manifold source and car runs so much better , base at 15 degrees and max out at 36 degrees , vacuum adds 16 degrees and it has no gas knock on my 46 year old L82 , try it you will like it !!!

8. joseph lamb

joseph lamb Member

Jan 1, 2017
    tampa florida
    you are the man , now drive the wheels off that nice car , but do try the vacuum advance !!!

9. gin man

gin man Veteran Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Morris, Il
    That was my thought on the cam lobe.