30x30 Garage Owners

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by TDPalmer, Aug 29, 2012.

1. lsx71

lsx71 Veteran Member

Feb 23, 2011
    South MS
    Thanks man. Yeah the post and trusses were used, it was actually an old barn we went and tore down. I'll tell ya it just faired this hurricane well and I dont even have all the trusses on yet. So once it gets finished it'll be here for good.

2. TDPalmer

TDPalmer Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 25, 2011
    Cave City, Arkansas
    Thanks for all the pictures so far guys, I'd love to have a 30x40 but I don't think I could expand that much without cutting down a few trees and pulling the stumps. Lsx, do you plan on adding insulation to your setup in the future?

3. lsx71

lsx71 Veteran Member

Feb 23, 2011
    South MS
    I'm going to insulate the roof most likely but probably not the side walls. It doesn't get to terribly cold down here.

4. jjs3788

jjs3788 Veteran Member

Sep 6, 2007
    Woodbine, Maryland
    Man, you guys getting big garages built for mid-teens are lucky. I am in the process now off getting estimates here in Maryland. My requirements are 30x40, 2 10' high x 12' carriage doors, one man door, 12' ceilings, siding and shingles. The contractor will have to bust up an existing 20x20 concrete slab and fill with millings. Other than that the ground drops about three feet over the 40' width, so there is some block work and backfilling to do. My estimates have been $38,000 - 44,000 so far. That is no electric at all and me pulling permits.

5. leafs_11

leafs_11 BANNED

Jun 24, 2009
    you better shop around thats kinda steep,look into steel structures

6. jjs3788

jjs3788 Veteran Member

Sep 6, 2007
    Woodbine, Maryland
    4 or 5 estimates so far and that's the range for all. Foundation is killing me because in that 40' width the ground drops 5' from one side to other. So all ether estimates have had about $16,000 just for foundation and concrete pad. I wish I had someone trustworthy in the area that could do it for less. It would certainly help my budget

7. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    30 x 40 with 10 foot sidewalls and scissor trusses (vaulted ceiling) to provide a near 15' center height.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't have my lift yet, but as soon as my new 461 c.i. motor for the GTO is done (very soon - that's the standard bore 455 in the back on my old pickup), I think that's my next car related purchase...

[​IMG]

8. jjs3788

jjs3788 Veteran Member

Sep 6, 2007
    Woodbine, Maryland
    Champ, I am going to have my entrance on the 40' side of my garage. I have been debating on doing 12' walls or 10' with scissors. Do you think a four post lift will extend all the way up with the 10' walls if entering from the side ? i'm just worried about it looking too high compared to my house.

9. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    jjs

Most four post lifts state that you can get by with 10' side walls....

But then, that depends on how tall the vehicle on the lift is!

Entering from the side, when you have scissor trusses, the side wall height right at the door is 10'. But as you go into the garage, the ceiling height increases.

With 30' of depth, I would think you'd probably have the lift inside far enough to clear the overhed door (8'?), which means that you have 22' to the opposite wall.

Most 4 post lifts are 16 - 18' long, and I don't think you'd want it tight to the back wall. So let's say that you have it set 4' from the wall. At that point you now have about 11.25 - 11.5' ceiling height (this is based on my shop - which has a 6/12 pitch), and it will be the hood of the car, not the roof that is at that point.

Long story short - I would think you'll be fine.

10. TDPalmer

TDPalmer Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 25, 2011
    Cave City, Arkansas
    I started the paperwork and hope to get a garage started next month, I'm still having a hard time deciding I appreciate the 30x40 pictures, now that one looks perfect lol.