30x30 Garage Owners

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by TDPalmer, Aug 29, 2012.

1. hoffmandirt

hoffmandirt Veteran Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Dysart, PA
    Here's my 28x32 for an idea on space. It's got a lot of room, but like everyone else is saying, I wish it had another bay on it, or maybe a shed outback to get some of the junk out of there!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TDPalmer

TDPalmer Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 25, 2011
    Cave City, Arkansas
    Thanks for all the input and pictures guys. The 16,5 quote is with a 10' ceiling. I do plan on adding a lift in the future so how high would you recommend? 14'? I did not ask about what kind of trusses he plans to use.

3. lsx71

lsx71 Veteran Member

Feb 23, 2011
    South MS
    Man that seems ridiculous to me for a shop. I'm close to wrapping mine up, granted it's not insulated or sheet rocked but it will serve it's purpose to me. I used 5" pipe as post and welded angle on those to put my 2x4s on, it ended up being 30x50 with 30x40 of that enclosed with 12' walls and it will have a 12x12 door. I think when I get done I might have $7000 in it which isn't bad considering this will stand up to anything since the posts are 3-4 feet in the ground. Really it's all in preference of what you want in the end, and what your capable of doing yourself. I mean if I can do it anyone can, and all of my posts and trusses were used off craigslist. I'll try to get you some pics up later.

4. leafs_11

leafs_11 BANNED

Jun 24, 2009
    we can go bigger but then need an engineers stamp.the bigger you go the more weight on the outside edges,so you need thicker edges and more rebar,hence the engineer stamp.up to 625 sq feet here min.4 inch concrete and the edges are 12' thick 18' in.must be poured monolithic.

5. lsx71

lsx71 Veteran Member

Feb 23, 2011
    South MS
    Here ya go man here's an idea of the size of mine and how i mounted the 2x4s on those steel posts. You might not even be interested in this style of shop but its an idea and possibly a cheaper alternative.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's the 2x2 angle clips I was talking about.
    [​IMG]
    Sorry about the size as well I'm not sure on how to make them smaller.

6. ruskin911

ruskin911 Member

Oct 5, 2008
    oswego, kansas
    garage

I will try to get you a phota posted.

7. leafs_11

leafs_11 BANNED

Jun 24, 2009

8. Leafs, he is in MS, not in NY or CA.

TD your price is good if he is going to pur the slab and do a quality job. I would ask to see other buildings he has built so that yo can see the kind of work he does. If it looks good go for it. I had a much smaller shop built earlier this year and I love it. Good luck dude.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  9. lsx71

lsx71 Veteran Member

Feb 23, 2011
    South MS
    Yeah no building codes here in the woods in south ms lol the side walls are 10' spans the back is 15'.

10. Goodwrench1965

Goodwrench1965 Veteran Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    There is not a thing wrong with that for a shop in the country. That's superior to most as a matter of fact. The post design might actually pass code in more areas than you think. I thought about doing it that way but I ended up going conventional wood frame to match the construction of the house and existing garage. Even though you purchased some of the materials used $7000 is a very good investment for a building that size. I like the Bar joist too. Did you buy the bar joist used on line too? Good Job Man.