3" Exhaust to close to fuel tank vents... Advice needed...

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Done Yet?, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Done Yet?

Done Yet? Veteran Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Fort Pierce, Florida
    I'm looking for some advice. My 3" exhaust comes too close to the vent lines exiting my gas tank. In the pic you can see the rubber hose comming from the vent laying right on my pipe. I tried to reposition the exhaust but still a no go. Right now I'm leaning towards pulling the tank cutting back the vents welding them closed and running a vented gas cap. The car is a 73, and the tank has 3 vents 2 on the r/s and 1 on the l/s. the Exh system is a Pypes Violator 3". I'm all ears for any advice on how to correct this problem in a different fasion. Thanks Guys Rob

[​IMG]

2. mgoad1971

mgoad1971 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 29, 2011
    Houston, Texas
  3. Pfrederiksen

Pfrederiksen Veteran Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Edmonton,Canada
    Dump the exhaust behind the axle? (or is that not an option)

P

4. theflash

theflash Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Podunk, CT
    The exhaust is what you need to fix, you should be able to trim it somewhere to make it fit. Why did you put in a 3" exhaust in the first place?

5. Swanny454

Swanny454 Veteran Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Cambridge IL
    Looks like the pipe needs moved toward the front of the car, looks like you have plenty of clearance to the axle to accomplish that with no real problems.

6. Patrick73RS

Patrick73RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I would move the tailpipe forward by cutting a small piece off and possibly relocating the hanger. That with maybe the elbow picture above and possibly a small dimple in the pipe should easily get you to where you need to be

7. motorhead76

motorhead76 Veteran Member

Oct 16, 2008
    MT HOPE WV
    May consider making a heat shield for it if possible. After you move it.

8. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Guyton, GA
  9. ZS10

ZS10 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 18, 2003
    BC, Canada
    Something isn't right with the way you have your exhaust put together. It shouldn't be near that close to your tank, and a tank is pretty hard to get in the wrong place.

Try putting your tails in first, and work forward. Pypes stuff is pretty well engineered, but expect to do some cutting trimming somewhere, ususally between the muffler and headers.

10. 79custom

79custom Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Gastonia, NC
    I agree the problem is with the exhaust. I bought a cheaper kit and it was no where near the lines like that.