2nd Gen Stereo Sub in the trunk

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by JD Z, Jan 10, 2018.

1. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    Yes it faces up. The back of the box is mounted to the backside of the back seat...i made 2 slip brackets out of 3" of of 1x1 alum angle. That allows you to tilt it the way you want. If you look to the left side you will see the rear deck 6x9 speaker...it is tight but it fits perfectly. The box base is mounted on top of HVAC vibration isolation pads. Sounds great...I am sure it would sound better inside the car but I wanted it totally concealed and it thumps really hard.

JD Z likes this.
  2. PalmbchZ28

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    1200 Watt Kenwood amp
    12" JBL sub.
    JBL 6X9 package tray triaxles
    Dual Kenwood front dash speakers
    Custom audio tuner

Attached Files:

JD Z and NOLAZACK like this.
  3. NOLAZACK

NOLAZACK Veteran Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Gonna sound nice!

4. JD Z

JD Z Veteran Member

Pioneer D9605 five channel 2,000 watt max. I’ve put in two 4 way 6x9,s. That’s all I have right now and then this sub. I really want to figure out what speakers and how to put them in the kick panels. I have a non-ac 80 camaro. With the two pull knobs. It looks like the vent would fit a 4x6. That’s on my list of wishes.

I’ll report back when the sub is in. I’m not sure on the mono question, I’m a real newbie to stereo equipment. 30 years ago, I just bought an amp and 6x9’s and I was rocking without knowing any better. Lol.

5. JD Z

JD Z Veteran Member

PalmbchZ28, I’ve contemplated putting speaker(s) in the dash. Nothing is there now. Still thinking and looking to the kicks for now. How do you feel about the dash speakers and the stereo feel?

6. PalmbchZ28

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    It is great
    but I tend to fade to the back about 30 %. It was a"#_&&#$_ bitch to get in. They are small speakers and can only drive so much mid range and no bass ...they are mostly for stereo high. The triaxles make up the rest. It sounds Pretty damn good...I would say it is just below my Denali Bose system.

7. NOLAZACK

NOLAZACK Veteran Member

Feb 7, 2017
    There is a member here on the forum who makes custom door and kicker panels for component speakers. 1971camaroguy is his handle. See the thread below:
    http://nastyz28.com/threads/speaker...ods-and-speaker-trays-fs.313690/#post-3593928

8. JD Z

JD Z Veteran Member

Nolazack, I reached out to 1971camaroguy. He doesn’t have kicks for non-ac versions. I’m thinking to just retrofit my current kicks.

PalmbchZ28, thanks for the feedback. I know putting speakers in the dash would be a not so fun job. Kicks or dash is where I am right now. I don’t want to alter the doors.

9. NOLAZACK

NOLAZACK Veteran Member

Feb 7, 2017
    They have some block off plates that another guy sells. Let me find that link. I have added factory a/c to my 70Z so Im going with the door molds. But they do have block off plates for those vents...

JD Z likes this.
  10. arm2004

arm2004 Member

May 5, 2017
    S.E. Ohio
    http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/support/box-wizard/
    This will help when building custom box. Make sure you get the right sub for the amount of air space you have available.
    Measure your space put it in the box wizard it will tell you how many cubic ft you have then match your sub to it. Also don't forget to subtract your sub from the air space total, the sub should tell you how much to subtract. The sub should also tell you how much air space it needs to perform best.

JD Z likes this.