2018 Hot Rod Power Tour

Discussion in 'Camaro Event Schedules & Locations' started by Vsolo, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Vsolo

Vsolo Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 20, 2009
    So Central PA
    Greeting all, I'm once again planning on doing the 2018 Hot Rod Power Tour.
    My last one was in 2015, time flies.
    They came out with the dates early this year so people who have to plan their vacations early can do it
    The 2018 event will take place from June 9-15.
    http://www.hotrod.com/events/power-tour/

If you are planning on going to either one city or doing the long haul, give a shout out here and post a picture and hopefully, we can run into each other.

As of Right now (Dec 15, 2017) here are the venues.

2018 Dates and Venues:
    Saturday, June 9 – Bowling Green, KY
    Beech Bend Raceway Park

Sunday, June 10 – Chattanooga, TN

Monday, June 11 – Birmingham, AL
    Hoover Metropolitan Stadium

Tuesday, June 12 – Hampton, GA
    Atlanta Motor Speedway

Wednesday, June 13 – Darlington, SC
    Darlington Raceway

Thursday, June 14 – Raleigh, NC

Friday, June 15 – Concord, NC
    zMAX Dragway

Here is a rough idea of the Route

HRTP2018Route.JPG

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  2. Vsolo

Sep 20, 2009
    So Central PA
    Oh yea, here is a picture of my car from the 2015 HRPT (in Gulfport, MS)

Camaro-at-gulfport.jpg

Blown Camaro likes this.
  3. Blown Camaro

Blown Camaro Veteran Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Deltona, FL
    Only way I could do the Power Tour is to sleep in my car. Do you guys have someone who stays up all night and keeps an eye on people's rides? I have always wondered about this.

4. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    I'm wondering about this...

5. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Probably the best route the northeast can ask for

6. Vsolo

Sep 20, 2009
    So Central PA
    Not really, BUT we stay at decent hotels. also, there are about 2,000 to 4,000 in each town that night.
    I have a few friends that had the same questions and the one that finally went with me in 2015 was greatly relieved when he went to see how safe it was. We tend to stay at Holiday Inn Expresses (Hamptons Inn & some kind of Marriotts) and there are usually 100 plus muscles cars at that hotel and if there are a cluster of hotels, there are at least 100 cars at each.

Also I have been doing several other road trips (Cars & Cones, NorthEast Rod Rod, BangShift Weekend runs, Laid Back Tour) and we have never had an issue.

Yes you might hear of a car stolen, or broken into but it is usually at a sketchy hotel.

We look out for each other cars, I know people will stay up till midnight or 2 am in the parking lots just hanging out & I know there are people who get up at 5 am to wipe down their cars. Hanging out at night is a big part of the fun, you will also see amazing repairs going on in the parking lots too. It is a super awesome time and the other car people are GREAT. I wish I could do it every year.

Also look at the numbers out of 4000 plus cars chances of your being taken or broken into are slim.

Hope this helps

FlaJunkie likes this.
  7. Vsolo

Sep 20, 2009
    So Central PA
    There is no way I can explain what an awesome week it is.

I have so many great stories from past trips. Even if you don't know anybody.
    The first time I went in 2010 (I started my planning in 2009), I only knew people on like from BangShift <---click here for link

My Camaro was not done in time, I took my wife's 1983 Mercedes 380 SL, As an "Option B" car, (I have seen a KIA Soul with Option C on it on the tour) & everyone was cool with it since as Hot Rodders understand cars not ready in time.

I was going on the HRPT come hell or high water and I already had my hotel reservations. I pulled in and the first guy I met saw my car & handed me a beer and said tell me what happened :)

FlaJunkie likes this.
  8. Vsolo

Sep 20, 2009
    So Central PA
    Oh yea, I have put 4,000 plus miles on the other three I went on.

I had saved up money for a few years when I worked allot and could not do fun car stuff.
    NOTE: plan it as a 2-week trip.

I live in So Central Pa (York, PA)
    First Time 2010 in my wife's Mercedes, was Newton Iowa to Mobile Alabama
    Two days to get to Iowa & 2 or 3 to get home (I visited my Father in law, who use to own the Mercedes 380 SL)

Second Time 2011 was Coco Beach to Detroit, I went a day earlier to Coco beach because I realized there are a whole lot of other activities going on before the tour starts, and I had a good job could a 3-week vacation. After Detriot, I went to the Canadian Camaro Nationals in Ottawa Canada.
    Man, they put on a great show too.

Third Time was Madison WI to Baton Rouge, LA (took a HRPT nOOb :) [JerryL from Nasty] with me, he had the same questions that I have seen here, there is no way to explain it without going. We actually took a ferry across Lake Michigan to get Madison.

I am retired now so I'm going 3 days early to Bowling Green (with a one-night stop-over).

You can drive straight through to the destination, but I limit myself to 6 hours of driving a day, cause I'm old ha ha & I enjoy the drive as well as the stops. (Ask JerryL ha ha]

I'll get JerryL to add some experiences. I'll also post some good to know info in a post below.

I have run into other NastyZ28 people on these trips & it is great to see their cars in person

FlaJunkie likes this.
  9. Vsolo

Sep 20, 2009
    So Central PA
    Tips:
    Planning, plan at least a year in advance. I have met people who decided to go 2 months in advance & had a great time.
    (I'm a planner person)

Get a GPS & learn how to use it. JerryL and I spent 2 different lunch times at Panera Bread going over the real ins and out of the GPS,
    we spent almost 4 hours each time ha ha, well that and talking car stuff. (but then again I'm a GPS nut)

You can get by with generally knowing how to use it. (I do know too much, and am still learning)

Join Hotel Club.
    They are free and you get points for staying, you will usually earn enough points on a HRPT to get one or two free nights later one. :)

I belong to IHG (Holiday Inn), Marriott, & Hilton, as well as Choice & Wyndham & Best Western (I use to travel a lot when I worked)
    and I'm a Points Whore :) I have a IHG, Marriott & Hilton Credit card, you get more points for money spent at their hotels with their cards.

I pay my Electric Bill, Cable, Phone and other monthly utility on one card that I pay off monthly and I don't worry about did I pay the Gas bill etc this month. It takes a little planning to put the money aside for the bills so you don't spend it and I get points for that too, that $400 plus a month in points adds up.

And when I see I have a balance of 500 in my checking account I know it is time to pay off the Credit card and I'm back to my usual $100 or less in there hahah

Also you will have an electronic copy of your reservation, so when you get there, there is no question (avoid 3rd party places because if the hotel is overbooked you will be the first to lose your room)
    So when you show up at the wrong Holiday Inn Express and say I have a reservation here, they will look it up and say "Ya you have a reservation, but it is at the other Holiday Inn Express across town" :) DOH... How the hell did I do that hahahah

Get a 3 ring binder with separators and put a copy of the hotel reservation and things going on in what city in their own section.
    You can also make a checklist of things to bring.
    Although you will be with hundreds of people who will jump through hoops to help you if you don't have the tool.

I lent (well I helped too) my hydraulic to a guy who only had a bumper jack and has to get under his car to fix his starter and someone else had the meter to check his alternator when it had an issue (it was a Chrysler & it was some diode issue)
    Now while we were troubleshooting and figured out that it was a diode, some guy who was standing there was on the phone and said (without asking) said I called Advance auto and they have at this store address and it is going to cost $xx.00) He left and got the part, I met him 3 days later at another venue and he came over and said Hey I forgot to say thank you for helping me with your jack and stuff,

Oh where was I, oh yea

By day 4 you will have forgotten what you had planned on seeing in what city :) and it makes a great memory souvenir when you are done.

FlaJunkie likes this.
  10. Vsolo

Sep 20, 2009
    So Central PA
    I'll stop I had too much coffee this morning

FlaJunkie likes this.