2017 Hemmings Concours d'Elegance photos

Discussion in 'Camaro Event Schedules & Locations' started by 70 SS/L78, Sep 21, 2017.

1. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 5, 2005
    Rockford, MN
    Below are photo's I took while participating at the Hemmings Concours car show. This year because of the 50th anniversary of the F-body, Hemmings had a 'featured' class just for the 67-81 Camaro & Firebird. Overall there was about 125 spectacular cars in the concours show. Just being selected to participate in the show is an award in itself! It was a great venue with perfect weather and my 1st time visiting Lake George, NY. Wish I had more time!!
    Phil Borris was a guest speaker on Sunday afternoon during the show. With his wealth of knowledge he gave everyone in attendance a great history lesson on the F-body over the years. It was well attended and enjoyed by many, including me!

The Camaro & Firebird lineup
    Note4 pics Sept 2017 1536.jpg Note4 pics Sept 2017 1532.jpg

The show field from a higher view point
    Note4 pics Sept 2017 1526.jpg

I recieved a 3rd place award! very fortunate with so many outstanding Camaro's & firebirds present Note4 pics Sept 2017 1517.jpg

Mark Hasset receiving the 1st place award with his ZL1 (yes that's Wayne Carini in the middle)
    Note4 pics Sept 2017 1542.jpg

1973 SD455 Formula Firebird (1 of 43 made) received 2nd Place
    Note4 pics Sept 2017 1559.jpg

1967 Festival Pace car
    Note4 pics Sept 2017 1558.jpg

1970 Rally Sport, Pre-production/pilot car - VIN# 500002
    Note4 pics Sept 2017 1557.jpg

1971 TransAm
    Note4 pics Sept 2017 1556.jpg

Frank Arone"s beautifully restored 1970 Z28!
    Note4 pics Sept 2017 1555.jpg

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  2. 70 SS/L78

May 5, 2005
    Rockford, MN
  3. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2008
    SF
    Very very nice
    Thank you for sharing
    I'm glad these cars are still being shown I hope they get the public attention they deserve

70 SS/L78 likes this.
  4. restore-z28

restore-z28 Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Vancouver, BC
    Looks like that show had some very cool cars and lots of diversity, Scott what is the deal with that prototype '70RS? Seems interesting...

Congrats again on that award, to take some hardware home from that show must be very difficult. Shows the quality of your car and dedication during your restoration, well done.

70 SS/L78 likes this.
  5. 70 SS/L78

May 5, 2005
    Rockford, MN
    Thank you Sonny!

Sorry, I should not of used the word prototype. I should of said Pre-production or pilot car. I'll make a correction to my post.

6. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

CamaroNats.2013 596.jpg NastyZ28 Calendar.jpg

Attached Files:

7. restore-z28

Jul 4, 2010
    Vancouver, BC
    Thanks Scott for the clarification, thought we were onto something, lol.

How nice was Frank Arone's '70Z in person? Have seen lots of posts about the car and some pics but sometimes no substitute for seeing the car in person.

8. 70 SS/L78

May 5, 2005
    Rockford, MN
    Franks car is nice car! To the average car guy they probably wouldn't notice a difference between Franks car and another nice one but his car is the most correctly restored 2nd gen to go through Legends judging so far. I know of a couple other cars that are probably equally as nice.

restore-z28 likes this.
  9. restore-z28

Jul 4, 2010
    Vancouver, BC
    Thanks Scott, sometimes pictures don't tell the whole story, his car looks great in pics.

10. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    I've seen Franks' car in person and the attention to detail is amazing. That said, it is an example of most cars of that caliber of being almost too perfect. In my mind it would technically be "over restored" in that the finish and fit far exceeds what the factory certainly did. Not sure where the threshold is for that. It is the age-old question when you are restoring a car. You want to make every detail as perfect as possible, but then you realize that they were not put together that way. Painted parts were many times dipped and not carefully primed and painted, so runs were very common. Its tough to take all the time and effort to remove rust and track down NOS parts only to paint them purposely sloppy so you create runs, thin/no paint spots etc. Effort is made to preserve or restore the finish on aluminum valve covers (not too shiny now) and intakes and then the bracket right next to them has paints runs. You put that next to a car likes Frank's and maybe Scotts' (I haven't seen Scott's, so I don't know) and there is a slim chance you would walk away with the trophy.

As always, you just have to do the car to satisfy you. The hobby for musclecar restoration I think has been influenced by the antique car restorations in terms of overall quality. Many of those era cars such as Duesenberg's or Bugatti's really were assembled by hand to exact and perfect standards. When spectators and participants walk by those cars and then a 60-70's era big three car, the subconscious expectation is that it should be the same level of assembly quality. We've all heard it, if you had a car assembled by the big three with 0 miles and took it to a Concours event, it probably wouldn't be allowed through the gate, much less get a trophy. Maybe that why survivors are gaining in popularity and they are getting there own categories.

Anyway, hats off to Scott. It looks like a great car and well deserving of the award. I personally will not try to reproduce runs. Not that they won't be there anyway due to my relative (lack) of skill!