2009 silverado upper ball joint questions

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 80sz, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Mike N

Mike N Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 13, 2002
    Spencerport, NY.
    I don't doubt the nuts will spin right off, you may have trouble removing the bolts themselves since they tend to freeze within the bushings.

If you have issues and want to drive 45 minutes east to Spencerport, I will help you press the old joints out and the new ones in.

2. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    I jacked truck up and checked them. I can't get them to move on either side. They are pretty tight. I pulled wheel side to side and also stuck a 2x4 under tire lifting on it and I can only get the bottom ball joints to move the slightest amount. Am I checking it right ? They seem fine.

3. Mike N

Mike N Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 13, 2002
    Spencerport, NY.
    Jack the front wheels up one at a time, with the jack under the lower control arm. Once the wheel is off the ground, grab it at the 12 O'clock position and push/pull on it. Any movement is likely the upper ball joint.

4. Joekool

Joekool Veteran Member

Feb 4, 2002
    Hollister CA USA
    Are the dust boots torn? Some shops like to try to up sell BJ's when they see torn boots and no grease in the joint.

5. Camaro75LT

Camaro75LT Masshole Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 17, 2001
    Boston-ish
    Torn boots means grit, moisture and improper protection of the ball joint. I'd argue it should be changed.

I prefer doing the whole control arm if possible. New bushings and no risk of rust from the old ones being an issue. Usually takes the same amount of time to swap in the driveway.

80sz likes this.
  6. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    I checked with jack on controll arm. Yup, the upper pass side has a slight play in it. I did quick net search,I can get a set of control arms for 75.00. Ball joints were 40.00. Brand was drive works,idk how good they are. I'd like ac delco like sugested . I'll see what dealer wants for them.

7. Randy 81

Randy 81 Veteran Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Loganville, Ga
    Rock Auto has the AC delco control arms for a good price. I will be changing the upper arms on my Suburban, easier for me than just the ball joint. My Burb is from the midwest, so the upper arms are a bit rusty surface wise. Plus at 247K miles, bushing are getting old anyways.

8. BLUE72CAMARO

BLUE72CAMARO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Bunker Hill, IL
    Looks like ac delcos and moog arms are available for the same price as you found above on rock auto.

9. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    Don't go tot he dealer for them. OE and Delco aren't quite the same. I dodn't know if it's nation wide but the dealer we're contracted with told me they can't sell Delco due to a lawsuit. I don't remember the details. Like mentioned above you can get Delco through Rockauto or even Amazon.

10. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    Joe is right lot's of places over sell them for a torn boot. It's a trade off, like you said the dirt and grit will cause a failure down the road but if you're Johhny on the spot with lubing them you'll flush that crap out before it's an issue. With the boot torn you can pump the grease until it's clean.