2001 Escape Engine Swap?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by rich1978, Jan 29, 2008.

1. rich1978

rich1978 Veteran Member

Jul 27, 2004
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Hey guys I just got a call from my brother in law, and the engine in his 2001 Ford Escape is on its last legs (bearing knock, etc). He's looking at buying a new engine from the Ford dealer, so my question is how hard would it be to do a replacement on this car? You can assume I've got all the tools needed to do a standard engine swap, say on a Camaro, plus just about all of the metric stuff you might need, and of course I have jack stands, hoist, stand, etc. Any specialtiy tools needed?

Also, this one is 4 wheel drive, and I'm pretty sure a 3.0L. Thanks in advance!

2. Redge

Redge Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    I helped a friend do an engine swap on a '98 Blazer. Thats the newest engine swap I've worked on. No specialty tools needed out of the ordinary. I don't know about what all you need but damn, an '01 and it already needs an engine swap? How many miles are on that sucker?

I know, I know, its a Ford.;)

3. rich1978

rich1978 Veteran Member

Jul 27, 2004
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I think he said 160,000 or so. Sounds like a pretty crappy deal, from what he described, the oil pump has just kind of gradually lost pressure and now it idle it's <5psi.

4. spoonLT1355

spoonLT1355 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 1, 2003
    Rockledge Pa
    I had one of them to do last week, but the guy pulled it out of the shop. He was going to trade it in as is ( the engine still ran, but he overheated it so bad that the heads warped)
    Sorry, can't help you out.

5. Joekool

Joekool Veteran Member

Feb 4, 2002
    Hollister CA USA
    Run away, dont look back, dont stop, keep running till your legs give up then start crawling, that engine is a nightmare to replace. I beleave the labor time is in the mid 20's to low 30's, yes that 20 hours + labor time if i remember right.

6. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    My guy gets in the 12-15 hour range. He's done in less than a day, but he's really fast. If memory serves me correctly the whole engine, trans and sub frame come out the bottom together. Then swap the engine and re install. You are going to need a lot of room underneath. We have a pneumatic table that lifts the assembly up and down while the car is racked.

7. rich1978

rich1978 Veteran Member

Jul 27, 2004
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Wow so are you saying that the engine has to come out the bottom, with the subframe attached? If so, it sounds like it would require at least a lift.

8. blown1981z28

blown1981z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Berlin, MD
    Yes, the whole assembly comes out the bottom. I wouldn't want to attempt it without a lift. I have done quite a few and they are not that bad you just need the right equipment.

9. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ

Yep pretty much what he said. Not a massive job, but not really something you would want to do at home.

10. rich1978

rich1978 Veteran Member

Jul 27, 2004
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Well thanks for the answers, I'm glad I asked now!