2000 5.3 LS into 71, my progress/ lessons learned

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by AlexSpinn, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Addrox

Addrox New Member

Aug 1, 2015
    Bristol, CT
    Great write up. This is exactly where I want to take my 79 when I'm ready. Thanks for the pics.

Any plans for exhaust, brakes, suspension, rear, or AC?

Can't wait to see this finished ... More pics please!!!

2. 71RSLS

71RSLS Veteran Member

Dec 5, 2017
    Prairie City, Ia
    I'm glad I found this thread. I just ripped out the 350/PG from my 71 and am waiting for some stuff to show up so I can put my 5.3 and a Super T10 in. I was planning on buying holley accessories for mine.

Alex, what intake is yours? I've heard the ones being sold on ebay are garbage. I'm just learning and gathering info on LS's too.

3. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 Member

Aug 8, 2014
    West of Chicago IL
    Hi Alex, nice progress..

On your PS lines, I used the stock lines by cutting the pump end off of the pressure line and flaring with a flare tool, used the VMS Racing brass adapter to adapt the pressure line flare fitting to the O ring pump.. Fitting is $17... I haven't started it yet but the fitment was very good so I see no reason it would leak.. The one thing I made sure of is that there was no stress on the line when fitting it in place, not pushing or pulling or pulling in any direction..
    Link

4. AlexSpinn

AlexSpinn New Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Well I should say it was a very very long breeze. That website has an insane amount of information on rewiring harnesses for engine swaps. I used it to figure out which sensors I didn’t need and which wires I could remove from the harness. This was my first harness I’ve reworked. It was the stock truck harness so I had to take off all the loom and tape, cut out fuse block, figure out which wires to remove from the PCM, and pull all the unused wires and sensors from the harness.

And that was only half the battle

Then there’s test fitting, cutting, soldering and repeating those steps about 50 times.

The process is simple enough, just time consuming.

5. AlexSpinn

AlexSpinn New Member

Jan 31, 2017
    I’m pretty happy so far with my intake. If I have any complaints its that it echoes noise too easily. The sound of air getting sucked in and sounds from the engine seems to be amplified by the intake. I’m assuming this is because it’s made from thinner sheet metal.

6. AlexSpinn

AlexSpinn New Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Also yes my engine is running, and the car is driving. Just passed Texas state vehicle inspection and registered my car yesterday.

mrfleet12 likes this.
  7. AlexSpinn

AlexSpinn New Member

Jan 31, 2017
    I could recommend trying to buy the same brand headers, engine mount, and crossmember, I shopped around and bought different brands and things didn’t line up exactly when I went to put them all in

8. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 Member

Aug 8, 2014
    West of Chicago IL
    Any comments on how it drives, is it what you were expecting out of that engine?

9. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    LS engines drive great. The 5.3 despite being the lower end powered of the LS family is still a nice cruise with 300hp. Far better then any typical 350 engine.

10. 1slow70LS

1slow70LS New Member

Oct 18, 2017
    good to hear its up and running. Im using energy poly mounts with billet adjustable plates set to 0" setback, and i still could not get the trans to clear without major tunnel modifaction.

Attached Files: