2000 5.3 LS into 71, my progress/ lessons learned

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by AlexSpinn, Sep 16, 2017.

1. AlexSpinn

AlexSpinn New Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Not sure if this should be in the Project progress section or not but I figure I could help clarify things being asked here.

So my project summed up:
    5.3 LM7 from 2000 Yukon to be put in 71 Camaro

Some things I wanted to accomplish:
    Replace intake with aftermarket intake for LS1.
    Keep stock truck accessories (almost possible)
    Install vintage Air A/C
    Retrofit stock truck harness myself
    Back it up with 4L60E
    Motor only has 60k on it so I'm keeping stock internals... for now.

Some things that went well:
    -After market intake clears hood and allows for an extremely clean harness setup. The intake sits about an inch and a half above the valley cover and provides a route for 90% of the wires (MAP, Knocks, Cam sensor, injectors, coils, IAC, TPS, Alternator, coolant temp) ----Intake also allowed me to keep the stock truck steam lines. (impossible with stock LS1 intake I believe)
    -My intakes fuel rails can accept both truck and LS1 injectors.
    -F-Body Oil pan from Dirty Dingo worked great (gm part #12628771 ~$350)
    -LS Swap mounts from speedway also worked great (part # 9167081 $134.99 shipped)
    -Wiring was/is a breeze with LT1swap.com
    -I shelled out the Money for a Tanks Inc. EFI tank. It was pretty easy to install but I wish they had supplied the wiring for the fuel pump.
    -I bought a 2000 corvette fuel filter/regulator and installed it about halfway to the engine. (return line feeds directly from fuel filter back to tank.)

Some things that did NOT go well
    -Stock Truck Accessories didn't fit. BUT, it was because of the alternator.. not the idler pulley. (There's a write up on LS1Tech about relocating the idler pulley by cutting the bracket and using the magic number of washers.) Turns out the alternator sits about 2-3 inches too high. And given how the mounts I have position the engine pretty darn well... I don't think there's anyway around it. So I've been forced to swallow my pride, cut losses, and buy the corvette accessory setup. Also, the water neck didn't clear my Throttle body but that could have been fixed with a new fitting with a more aggressive angle.

-Vintage Air supplies a high mount bracket for the compressor if you don't feel like notching the subframe. BUT, it requires an LS1 tensioner pulley. ($70-$120) And now that I'm going to use a corvette accessory drive, I'm going to have to modify the bracket. to move the compressor back about 1.5 inches.

Where I'm at
    Engine- Mounted, just waiting on corvette accessories
    Fuel- Plumbed up to engine.. waiting on accessories.
    Wiring- Retrofitted, about 95% done with cutting/extending wires to where I want them. Waiting on parts to build 4 wire fuse block and OBD port
    Transmission- Don't have one... From what I've learned, the only realistic options are shelling out 1500 for a performance trans with a warranty or buying one used for 400 and crossing your fingers. (From a transmission newbs perspective)
    Cooling system- Waiting on electric fans. Using PCM ports on LT1swap.com to control fans/relays

Thats everything I can think of for now. This is my first LS swap and I've spent alot of time researching but I am no expert. I just hope this post helps others.

Also I'm in Austin Texas area and I've had great experiences with Matt at Performance Supercar and all the guys down at Austin Performance and Specialty. They're pretty much the only true speedshop left here in Austin.

Waiting on slow internet connection to upload pics..

2. AlexSpinn

AlexSpinn New Member

Jan 31, 2017
  3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Looks good, you def found out the hard way that a car engine is better to start with. The water pump, the alternator, the accessories and the intake manifold can nickel and dime you quick. You will also need an updated tune. It's funny how different perspectives are, "shelled out" for the Tank Inc, try $1800 for a vaporworks tank lol.
    BtW I have a brand new LS3 water pump I can cut a deal on.

Can't wait to get it up and running and have that "so worth it" moment

4. Goat

Goat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 7, 2001
    moncure, NC
    Nice job. Thanks for sharing.

5. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 New Member

Aug 8, 2014
    West of Chicago IL
    Alex
    Looks great, you and I are about in the same spot, planning to drop my engine in next weekend and get everything plumbed..
    Good luck, I'll be paying attention to your post.

Bill

6. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    Very nice wright up and photos of what you have experienced with the swap. Good job.

7. rustorbust

rustorbust Veteran Member

Dec 14, 2009
    San Diego
    Keep the updates rolling. I have a 79 that I'm about to start doing with all the same swap parts you are using.

8. 1slow70LS

1slow70LS New Member

Oct 18, 2017
    nice job, Im doing the same swap. Im running an S10 alternator its alot smaller and clears my factory hood, you will also need a smaller power steering pump pulley if you where to keep the truck accesories. I was able to clear the water pump neck by re-clocking it, even with my Ls1 intake.

Attached Files:

9. rustorbust

rustorbust Veteran Member

Dec 14, 2009
    San Diego
    Curious about the S10 alternator. Do you have it bolted in the truck accessory bracket. I want to stick with the truck accessories and also want to try and get it to clear the stock flat hood.

10. 1slow70LS

1slow70LS New Member

Oct 18, 2017
    yes it bolted right up the the truck bracket