200-R4 pressures

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by ssupercoolss, Nov 2, 2017.

1. jthomas

jthomas Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 5, 2007
    NorthCentral PA
    IMG_2216.JPG Here's how my TV plunger looks at idle when set up correctly. I'm using the Sonnax plunger and sleeve on mine which has more rings in it than a stock plunger. The plunger has about .840" sticking out. Yours will be less with a stock TV spring. I'm running the Extreme Automatics TV spring.

Here's my 4th gear pressure switch.

IMG_2215.JPG

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  2. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

Nov 3, 2015
    PA
    pressure drops like 2-3 lbs when i disconnect the cable. it doesnt shoot up to 150. Had it out yesterday for a decent drive, check fluid level, check for leaks, etc. Ran great, shifted great. Shifts arent real firm, but i think thats normal for a stock trans. Overdrive is awesome. Speedometer is waaaay off, but im kinda used to that with the camaro. I may actually get a speedo corrector for this car.

3. jthomas

Dec 5, 2007
    NorthCentral PA
    Excellent...If you have a 2-3 lb drop when disconnected at idle, and the TV plunger is buried in the sleeve at WOT then you have the correct adjustment and correct travel. You are good to go!

It will be soft because it is because it is stock and used. That would be a great core for a high performance rebuild some day.

Speedometer is an easy fix...just drop pan, pull governor and change the drive and/or driven gears to get the right combination.

How did you make out on the lockup wiring?

If you ever come across another CZ TH200-4R let me know...I'm looking for a core for spare parts.

4. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

Nov 3, 2015
    PA
    I figure at some point this trans will need a rebuild, then get it done with how i want it. I'm just over joyed i didnt have to pull this one back out, and i really didnt want to put the other one back in.

I didnt even start on the lock up yet actually. After i had it out for a drive, i went home to watch the race. i had intended on going out to work on that but i forgot it was going to be dark by then. I do want to do a switch on the dash, and a vac switch as well, with a timer eventually, but for now, just he brake switch and dash switch.

I know where there are 2 more....but Baltimore and Long Island. Oh, 1 in allentown too, but i cant tell if they want to sell the parts off the car, or they want to sell the car whole for parts. These things get snapped up pretty quick. Luckily, where i found this one, there isnt much demand for a used 2004r, more demand for a deer stand, shotgun, anything painted camo, etc. It also helped that it was listed on craigslist under "1987 monte carlo ss parts".

5. jthomas

Dec 5, 2007
    NorthCentral PA
    Check out this kit. This is what I used. Easy to install and has everything you need. I added a dash switch to disable the lockup. Most of the time I leave it enabled since this kit lets the trans go into 4th gear without lockup and then adds lockup 8-10 seconds later if you don't increase throttle or decrease speed. https://www.bowlertransmissions.com/shop/automatic-parts/tc-packages/200-4r-total-cure-package/

You can just buy their lockup kit separately if you want.