200-R4 pressures

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by ssupercoolss, Nov 2, 2017.

1. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

Nov 3, 2015
    PA
    My 70 Monte Carlo is getting a 200-R4 this weekend. Its a stock 87 MCSS trans.

Anybody have the correct pressures for a stock CZF trans? BTO and Extreme, etc have listings, but i believe they would reflect higher pressures than stock. I have searched all over, collected a few tidbits but its a pretty incompete list. i gathered these from MCSS.com where someone quoted they came from the manual.

Reverse Full TV @1000 rpms = 228-267
    P,N,D4,D3 no TV @1000 rpms = 56-64

2. jthomas

jthomas Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 5, 2007
    NorthCentral PA
    The correct name is THM-200-4R or TH200-4R for short.

The stock pressures are noted in this document:

TH200_4r pressure settings.png

3. jthomas

Dec 5, 2007
    NorthCentral PA
    If you don't mind me asking, where did you find the CZF tranny that you are putting in? I'm looking for a core for spare parts.

4. ssupercoolss

Nov 3, 2015
    PA
    Dang....thanks for the chart. thats awesome. I found this trans in NEPA. I bought it for $218. I know of a post on Craigslist for one near harrisburg if you are interested. It should be a CZF....from a MCSS.

5. ssupercoolss

Nov 3, 2015
    PA
    Cancel that. looks like that one is gone.

6. jthomas

Dec 5, 2007
    NorthCentral PA
    Okay...thanks. Let me know if you need any other info on the 200-4R. I know these transmissions inside and out and would be happy to help you.

7. ssupercoolss

Nov 3, 2015
    PA
    Lock up on a stock trans.....i figured i would get a look at things once i got the pan off, but why do people sell "kits"? Can i make whats there work? i get how it should work, i had to "fix" the PO's work in my camaro. 12v+...brake switch....vac switch....delay timer.....4th gear pressure switch....lock up soleniod. Im not to concerned about lock up just yet though.....making it move back and forth for this weekend is priority.

8. jthomas

Dec 5, 2007
    NorthCentral PA
    The stock 200-4R locks up in several gears, not just 4th. The kits are designed to limit lockup to 4th gear and to automate the lockup/unlock in a performance application so it doesn't get into an annoying lock/unlock cycle. You have the right idea on items needed for the lockup. Bowler transmissions makes a nice lockup module to delay lockup once in 4th.

Your first priority needs to be the TV cable setup. The 87 Monte Carlo was fuel injected. Your 70 Monte Carlo isn't. When you connect a 200-4R to a carb setup you have to correct the TV geometry. I recommend you buy a TV-Made-EZ kit or the TruShift from Bowler Transmissions. Don't bother with the TCI, Holley, or Sonnax geometry correcting brackets because they are setup wrong....they don't have the correct cable pull or cable travel. They can work, but they won't be optimal and depending on the setup can create problems. You should also buy a transmission pressure gauge 0-300 psi and hook it up before you start the engine with the new tranny for the first time. The TV cable is critical and if set wrong you can burn up the clutches in short order. Being yours is used, it is already worn and would be that much more critical.

9. ssupercoolss

Nov 3, 2015
    PA
    Thanks for the info. i have been researching all week on the topic. I might be at the point where i have read all the info there is on it via WWW. Pressure gauge should be here today, brackets, i went with Edelbrocs stuff since its their carb, but who really knows how it will work once everything is assembled. My first check is to make sure my carb is getting full throttle, that might not be happening.

Should the TV have any tension on it at idle? i see mixed reviews on that. One thing i think was pretty agreed upon was there should be an immediate pressure rise as soon as throttle is opened.

10. dailycruiser81

dailycruiser81 Veteran Member

May 19, 2013
    ft lauderdale
    I love bowler geometry correction bracket you speak of, real quality piece. How bad is it to hook up their lock up kit?