2 BOLT VS 4 BOLT MAIN POWER CAPACITY

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by nova75mike, Feb 19, 2018.

1. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    This video of CNC Machine and they don't Torque Plate? why? Fascinating to watch. The machine does everything.

2. ZEN357

ZEN357 Veteran Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Always go with a 4-Bolt main block especially if they are splayed. Just my opinion, always better to be safe than sorry.

CNC BLOCKS likes this.
  3. nova75mike

nova75mike Veteran Member

Mar 20, 2008
    Etters, PA
    Well, with the fact I'm going with a solid roller, and the rpm I'll be turning, it just made sense to spend the extra couple bucks now than chance losing a lot of expensive parts later when the caps shift on me. It will just delay the build for a bit longer is all.

4. cweeet

cweeet New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    pine grove, pa
    i just went or am going through the same problem, found a great car with a bad motor. went with splayed 4bolt. callies rotating assembly. hope to have it fired in the next month. that being said if i had to do it all over again i would have just bought a 500 hp gm performance motor with a 24k mile warranty and forgot all about rebuilding it....
    anyway for the price i would say go 4 bolt. your going to have the thing at the machine shop anyway and when the motor hits 7 g's you wont hear it go boom.

5. jimrr

jimrr Veteran Member

Jun 12, 2016
    sarasota
    wow, everything was done dry!!

6. wiseryder

wiseryder Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 11, 2004
    belding,mi USA
    I wondered the same thing..

7. CNC BLOCKS

CNC BLOCKS Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2004
    NORTHEAST
  8. CNC BLOCKS

CNC BLOCKS Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2004
    NORTHEAST
    With the added stroke 2 bolt mains do not like it seen it to many times over the years. When GM used a 2 bolt 400 block they left the register wide for more support for a reason.

Before spending any money on putting splayed caps make sure you sonic test the cylinders to make sure you are starting with a good piece.

Here is what I have seen when 2 bolt main block are used when good 4 bolt block should have been used.
    [​IMG]

9. Rustbucket350

Rustbucket350 Veteran Member

Sep 4, 2013
    Oviedo, Florida
    I've only had one 350 block with a crack in the main webbing and it was a 4 bolt. It was a junkyard targetmaster motor with probably 200 hp. Every rod and main bearing was spun and the bearing material was in the lifter valley. With enough rpms and abuse you can ruin any block at any power level. I've had probably ten small block chevys on my stands in the garage in the past ten years but I've never seen damage like that.

10. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA