1dirtyz's '70 RS build project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 1dirtyz, Oct 2, 2011.

1. 1dirtyz

1dirtyz Veteran Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Riyadh , saudi arabia
    nope actually those are speed hut revolution gauges . pretty cool if you ask me ; you can build them in so many different ways and are soooo customizable !

any how ,,, I installed the hood to see if everything is ok alignment and space wise and for some reason the turbo housings touch the hood now.
    I know I might have moved the position of the turbos a bit during the fab process but that is not the issue I'm worried about now ( well I'm kinda worried but not much :p )

the solution would be to notch the inside of the hood bracing where the housing touches but I would really not like to do so if I can ,,,, so I decided to raise the nose a bit and in doing so raise the hood. this will also give me a tad bit more clearance with the rad cap too.

the problem I'm having now is that I tried to add washers between the core support outer edges and the front for the fenders ,,, but that didn't change a thing ( I had the headlights and buckets removed ) .

so I then decided to lift the whole core support up from the frame ; I loosened the bolts holding the core support mounts as well as the vertical mounts ( the ones that mount to the side of the frame ) and added three washers to the bottom of the main mounts .

the problem is that after all that , I have the same exact clearance between the turbo housing and the hood !

then I though maybe I should loosen the fenders from the cad side of the engine compartment ,,, I also added a few shims under the rear upper fender bolts but no luck there either.

is there something I'm missing here? loosening the core support should have the whole nose of the car moving ,,, and raising it should have at lease made the interference less.

any ideas ??

2. 1dirtyz

1dirtyz Veteran Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Riyadh , saudi arabia
    well since I'm here might as well post some progress pics :)

I started working on the turbo hot side and finally managed to get it done :

driver side down tube:
    [​IMG]

waste gate tubes :
    [​IMG]

and here are both sides' down tubes painted and ready to be wrapped :
    [​IMG]

I then had a chance to mock up the setup on an old engine I had to see how it all looked like :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

after that I took it all off and wrapped the pipes with DEI lava shield wrap :

[​IMG]

3. 1dirtyz

1dirtyz Veteran Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Riyadh , saudi arabia
    and here is how it looks in the car :

tight fit in some places ;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and I don't know if I mentioned this before but the radiator came in along with the fans , so I welded some bungs on it to mount the fans :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

also decided to fancy up things a bit and whipped me up this small radiator hold down/ cover piece . I still need to trim it for the hood latch ( when I get it ) :

[​IMG]

moving on with the exhaust I started working under the car . I wan this car to be a cruiser ,,, so the exhaust has to be somewhat quite . I know the turbos will muffle things a bit but I need more; so the plan was to add two resonators / bullets mid stream and then a pair of flow master big block mufflers out back.

so after a lot of cutting and measuring and messing with it I got this :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still need to run It to the back of the car , but i'll leave that later after I finalize the rear suspension situation .

so that pretty much sums it up for where I'm at right now.

4. Turbo70Camaro

Turbo70Camaro Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 7, 2005
    so cal
    Wow man great progress, tubular upper control arms will yield some more space and do you think the chambered flowmasters may cause to much back pressure on a turbo car?

5. 1dirtyz

1dirtyz Veteran Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Riyadh , saudi arabia
    thanks,

the tubular arms are something I will get later down the road , the main interference is from the header primary , everything else clears nicely.
    as for the mufflers I don't think so , the exhaust is 3.5" and the engine will not be buzzed too high to where it will be a substantial restriction in my opinion.