1dirtyz's '70 RS build project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 1dirtyz, Oct 2, 2011.

1. 1dirtyz

1dirtyz Veteran Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Riyadh , saudi arabia
    Thought I’d share the build project of my ’70 rs Camaro just so I can keep track of what I did and to add to the wealth of information on this site .

I always had a soft spot for camaro’s since I own and race one , and I really liked the way 2nd gen’s (especially split bumper ones) looked . so after looking around for a while I found this one and jumped on it . the plan was to push it to the side and start gathering parts slowly ( read slowly) and only start working on it after I was done with the scout conversion and Porsche projects I had going on ,,,,,, guess I’m a lousy planner.

Any how , the plan is to redo this car and make it into a fun cruiser that I can drive anytime and take across country on trips , which means comfy ride , nice interior , AC , sound system , good brakes , dependable engine/trans, and just enough power . In the beginning I was thinking of just swapping an LS motor in there (like I always do) but after finding this car I thought why not stick with the big block it came with.
    So the idea is to do this thing in stages , first would be to redo all the bushings and worn out stuff on the suspension , then refresh the engine and convert to EFI , then redo the interior ( more like do the interior since there was nothing in there :p ) , all while rebuilding a new engine with good internals and heads and have it ready for when the time comes. After the car is done (well running down the road) paint it then slap a couple of turbo’s on there just cause big blocks and turbo’s give me a nice warm fuzzy feeling :p
    Off course that was the plan ,,,, but some minor changes occurred and now you have this build thread.
    So , a little information about the car : 1970 RS camaro , had a high compression 468 dropped in along with a th400 and 3.73 gears in the stock 10 bolt rear end , the paint was kinda new and the body work ok ( from 10 feet away that is ) . the car had the part of the AC removed and the interior was almost non existent aside form the dash and seats .
    It had Cragar wheels with newish tires , skinnies up front and 295 in the rear, slapper bars and ok exhaust along with the original hood and a fiberglass pin on hood .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 1dirtyz

1dirtyz Veteran Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Riyadh , saudi arabia
    So that was the introduction , and now comes the crap that follows :D
    The previous owner told me twice to check the lugnuts and make sure they were tight,,,,, but me being me , I decided to just take her out for a spin,,,, what can possibly go wrong????

[​IMG]

The lugnuts ( the three that were there ) were loose/ cross threaded and came loose and sent the tire into the fender . off course this lead to a slight change in plans since I was thinking of redoing the interior first, now it was fix the ruined studs, and since I was going to remove the brakes might as well replace them with better ones, and since the brakes are coming off along with the spindles might as well redo the suspension bushings and powder coat the arms, and since the arms are coming off might as well swap to coil over’s ,,,, can you see where this is going now :p
    Another thing I found out was that the front end is loaded with bondo ! ( after disassembling it the nose piece and the core support weighed in at 82 LBS !!! ) so I decided it was time to order a front clip. The plan was to go with fiberglass everything, but after talking to a few friends I decided to get steel fenders and fiberglass nose, hood , and inner fenders. This is because I want to run the stock hood hinges and I I was afraid the fiberglass fenders would not cut it down the road and start to crack , as well as having fitment issues when installing them.

Moving on, I decided to strip the whole front half of the car down and redo right the first time . so off came the fenders ( you can see why I wanted to powder coat the subframe and arms , there was so much crap on there and apparently it was painted yellow at some time before)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is the other side ( not that is matters :p )
    [​IMG]

And here is the all the sheet metal removed :

[​IMG]

There’s something to be said about 40 year old rusted in nuts and bolts  . I intend to replace all the hardware with stainless steel hardware when the time comes.

Then it was time to remove the engine and trans to freshen them up and to get the subframe out to get it powder coated.

Here is how the engine looks ( just in case you were wondering :p )

[​IMG]

And how the engine bay looks now :

[​IMG]

And that’s where I decided I wanted to ditch the steering box and convert to a rack and pinion setup . the thinking behind that is that with a rack and pinion setup there is less possibility of slop in the system , plus it would look cool :p

So here are the candidates for the steering system lined up next each other so you can see the difference in width between them all.

[​IMG]

The first one from the top is the stock stuff for comparison, next is a rack from a mustang , then one from something unknown ( almost went with it but luckily I found out it was from a rear steer setup , so I ditched it ) and the last one is from a 4th gen Camaro .
    The Camaro rack turned out to be too wide and would need a lot of work to get it work , so I decided to go with mustang unit . here is how will sit in there :

[​IMG]

The plan is to tuck it in as close to the subframe as possible so that the tie rods are roughly in the same original place.

So moving on, I removed the subframe so I can weld the rack mounts on it and to take it to get sand blasted and powder coated.
    And this is where I stand right now :p

Hopefully the next step is to mount the rack and finalize the steering shaft . then take the subframe to get cleaned and powder coated. After that I should be able to assemble the suspension and brakes on there and slide it back under the car. I also plan on cleaning the firewall and spraying it before I put the engine back in.

3. jimstonemaker

jimstonemaker Veteran Member

Jun 27, 2008
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Off to a good start

Looks like a nice project. I looked at some bolt in rack systems, but thought they would hang to low.

4. GOLF72

GOLF72 Veteran Member

Jan 11, 2010
    CORONA, CA
  5. masparks

masparks Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Gas, Kansas
    Looks like there has been alot of dirt roads in that cars past. Then I seen where your at!! Nice start for a project!!

6. 1dirtyz

1dirtyz Veteran Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Riyadh , saudi arabia
    loool, the dust comes with the territory , there is no escape :)
    ( we like to think of it as a protective coating :p )

as for the rack , i'm making sure it sits higher than the botom of the frame and still clear the oil pan.

hopefully a fresh batch of parts should be here soon so i should have some progress pics soon .

7. 1dirtyz

1dirtyz Veteran Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Riyadh , saudi arabia
    some progress to report , i got the control arms back from powder coating and had the new polyurethane bushings pressed in , but found out the one of the bushings does not fit the lower control arm end ( hole is way bigger than the bushing ) , after some research and digging around i found out that the control arms were most likely swapped out sometime in the past with ones from an oldsmobile , so i found a cheap rubber set locally and tested it and it fit , so i ordered a pair of lower poly mount which should be here soon .

sexy control arms :

[​IMG]

i also had the spindles powder coated as well as cut for the Wilwood brake bracket .
    i also got the front QA1 double adjustable coilover kit in as well as the wilwood front brake kit ( sorry no pics) , so basically i have the front suspension ready to bolt in just waiting for the subframe .

speaking of subframes, i finally got around to fabbing up the steering rack conversion on the subframe , like i mentioned i went with a mustang rack because its the right width and relativly easy to mount ( plus i had one :p )

[​IMG]

and how it looks with the rack in place :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

whats not showing in those pics is the braces or gussets i added to the rack mount where the small tubes attatch to the brace to reinforce it .

so i guess now all i have to do is to finish the steering shaft deal and then take the thing off to be sandblasted and powdercoated , along with a whole bunch of other parts. then its just a matter of assembleing the subframe on the ground ( suspension , steering , brakes, wheels and tires , and the engine trans combo) and rolling it under the car.

i also might start working on cleaning and painting the firewall, as well as taking out the interior and cleaning it , then adding some insulation in some key areas. after that i could start working on installing the camaro seats i have (off my 4th gen ) - basically just figuring a way to mount them and then have them redone in leather or something .

i'm also having some evil thoughts of converting the steering coloumn to the one off my 4th gen as well as swapping the 10 bolt out and finding a way to mount the 12bolt and torque arm off my camaro too ( are you beginning to see the trend here :p ) , but thats just me hinking out loud, plus i'm not even done with the front end .

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  8. RS1970

RS1970 Veteran Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Washington
    Cool project! Of course I am kind of partial to any 70 rs.
    What year mustang rack and did you change anything on it to get the width correct?

9. 1dirtyz

1dirtyz Veteran Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Riyadh , saudi arabia
    its the same rack that comes on '78 to '92 i guess. this one is off a 90 or 91 mustang.

the rack doesn't fit right away ; the tierods on the rack have a different taper than the camaro ones, so to fix that problem i'll be removing the ford tierod and installing a camaro tie rod on to the rack using an adapter sleeve ( adjustment sleeves with one end with the ford threads, and the other with the gm threads :) )
    more details on that as soon as i get it done :p

10. ctchap70

ctchap70 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Cool. Very interesting it is. Charlton