1981 Z28 Shifter and cowl decode help

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by Coolit, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Coolit

Coolit New Member

Nov 20, 2017
    Does anyone know what style shifter was in the car? I was thinking it had the big thumb push button on the top, I'm trying to locate one but I can't seem to figure out if that was what was in there, I'm trying to restore this to factory condition or at least as close as I can, I also need help with decoding the cowl plate I keep getting lost as you can see by my car it needs some help I know it was factory white on white with red interior but I can't figure out what color the stripes were I tried to upload a cowl plate that was rotated but it wouldn't let me do it so I had to upload the one that is here any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank in advance

Attached Files:

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    This is what the shifter and knob assembly would look like.

upload_2017-11-20_6-59-53.png

For an 81... There would also be a socket beneath the shifter bezel for a light.
    It may have metal trim on the top side of the bezel too.

A white car with a red interior would have red stripes and the N90 wheels would be black.
    http://www.nastyz28.com/camaro/80zstripe.html

Welcome to NastyZ28!!! :D

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  3. Coolit

Coolit New Member

Nov 20, 2017
    Thank you for your your help I looked at the link provided I still can't figure out what I'm looking at I don't see the numbers on the cowl plate corresponding to stripes and the wheels according to the link

4. Twisted_Metal

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Stripes and wheel codes aren't on the trim tag... You would find those on the build sheet.

The exterior color is on the trim tag. (You said it was white.)
    The interior is red (Also stated in first post.)

The chart in the link says that combination would get the three-tone red stripes.
    With N90 wheels... They would be black.

5. Coolit

Coolit New Member

Nov 20, 2017
    Sorry for the 2 post I changed this post completely from the one below so as to not get confused with between the two, I'm doing this on my cell phone and the internet is satellite internet and is slow and makes me think I didn't get my post posted. Is there away I can delete duplicate post if this happens again?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  6. Coolit

Coolit New Member

Nov 20, 2017
    Oh ok thanks I'm just learning how to read all of this right now it's all very confusing to me my cowl tag is one of the things that confuse me all the numbers and spacing aren't like the sample cowl tag I've seen on here

7. Coolit

Coolit New Member

Nov 20, 2017
    Is this what it should look like Twisted_Metal
    Image borrowed from HEACOCK CLASSIC CAR Insurance for reference

Attached Files:

8. Twisted_Metal

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    That’s it!
    Color and stripes are correct but those are the standard Z28 wheels (in body color).

The aluminum N90 wheels would be black

9. Coolit

Coolit New Member

Nov 20, 2017
    Ok thank you for all your help I had to add reference to the photo because it didn't belong to me thank you again still alot to learn