1981 Z28 restomod project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by LoweRider, Aug 19, 2017.

1. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

You had me until th400. Why not something with more gears?

I love the car and everything else!

2. LoweRider

LoweRider New Member

Jun 26, 2017
    TX, USA
    proven bulletproof transmission. A transmission that can handle as much power as a TH400 is usually double the cost.. and I'm not fond of manual transmissions.. Especially in DFW traffic.

I can buy a TH400 that can handle almost 1000hp for $1500 bucks, something like a 700R4 would be almost $3500.

3. BonzoHansen

Makes sense. More of a drag car? I see 'restomod' and i just thought more pro-touring syle. What rear gears you planning on? If you go turbo i'd guess not too steep.

Why a 9" and not just beef up the 8.5" rear?

4. LoweRider

LoweRider New Member

Jun 26, 2017
    TX, USA
    Going to run 3.50 gears in the rear. I was informed that the 10 bolts can't hold much power, even beefed up. I am building a foundation to eventually go turbocharged, and my target will be around 1000hp. If I can build up a 10 bolt to handle that, it'd certainly be easier and more convenient to do so

5. earnhardtgm3

earnhardtgm3 Veteran Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Camaro Country,GA
    Sounds like a nice build you have going. Keep us informed and have fun with your project.

6. BonzoHansen

Just remember these are not like 7.5" ten bolts in third or fourth gens. These are 8.5" rears and can be built nearly as strong as twelve bolts. Not 1000 hp strong, but 600 hp strong. So if you are doing it in stages and don't want to drop the big money on a 1000 hp rear until you actually have it you have options.

Can't wait to see the build, I'll be following along.

7. LoweRider

LoweRider New Member

Jun 26, 2017
    TX, USA
    my only thing is that I dont want to have to do anything twice. having to buy two rear ends and possibly two driveshafts doesnt seem practical to me. Though going forced induction may be at least a few years down the road, it could be reasonable.

Twisted72 and BonzoHansen like this.
  8. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

9. LoweRider

LoweRider New Member

Jun 26, 2017
    TX, USA
    My valvetrain and cylinder heads came in Monday. The heads are Trick Flow GenX 225cc competition ported, the cam is a Comp Cams LSR 54-463-11 (247/255 dur @.050, .624" lift on int/exh, 297/305 advertised duration, 114 degree LSA).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

house67 and BonzoHansen like this.
  10. Double R Restorations

Double R Restorations Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2002
    VA
    Welcome to the site! Nice car! I saw it on YouTube, when Ben was trying to decide to fix it or the truck. I voted for the Camaro, but it lost. lol. Glad you got the car and now I can watch it being built here.