1981 Z28 restomod project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by LoweRider, Aug 19, 2017.

1. LoweRider

LoweRider New Member

Jun 26, 2017
    TX, USA
    Recently sold my 2015 Challenger scat pack so I could go back to owning my first love, I found a 1981 Z28 up in Anna, TX. I paid $3300 for it. No engine, No trans. Interior is in decent shape, but needs a little love, and will be changing the color from blue to black. The body needs a lot of love, doors are sagging so I'll need new door hinges, a few dents around, paint is garbage, front end and rear cosmetics need replacement. All in all, it's a good candidate for my restomod project.

I work for Summit Racing, so the great discount on parts will help keep this project moving over the next few months or so. Yesterday, I ordered an iron LS engine, Lunati Voodoo forged crank and rods, and Wiseco forged pro series pistons. They will be sent to the machine shop when they arrive for balancing and prep for assembly. It is going to be a 403 stroker. It'll be a good foundation for when the day comes I decide to add turbos. It is going to be fuel injected with a FiTech system. A beefed up TH400 and Ford 9" rear end will be behind the powerplant.

I also have a L88 hood coming from VFN in the next few weeks. When all of the body work is done, I'm having it painted Anthracite grey, blacking out the chrome trim, and getting the turn signals and rear lights blacked out for a stealth look.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    FermentedSpirit likes this.
  2. Twisted72

Twisted72 Veteran Member

Nov 8, 2015
    New Albany, Indiana
    Welcome to 2nd gen Family, working for summit has its perks (any chance to pass on some saving) sounds like you know the direction your going, keep us updated and if you have any questions there are plenty ready to give an answer

3. LoweRider

LoweRider New Member

Jun 26, 2017
    TX, USA
    Unfortunately, I couldn't help anyone out for discounts. They monitor the systems in store very closely and I could get in a lot of trouble even trying to help someone out.

I spent a few weeks planning what I wanted to do. I'm going to start stripping the car down in a week or two. I need to get a new wiring harness in as well

Twisted72 likes this.
  4. Twisted72

Twisted72 Veteran Member

Nov 8, 2015
    New Albany, Indiana
    Oh I understand ..never hurts to ask..look in to Haywire I bought one for mine and the quality is bar none

5. LoweRider

LoweRider New Member

Jun 26, 2017
    TX, USA
    luckily for me, the seller included an American AutoWire +20 harness when I bought it, so I have some money saved there.

6. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    Nice score, Car looks in good shape. Was that on ebay?. Kinda looks familiar.

7. LoweRider

LoweRider New Member

Jun 26, 2017
    TX, USA
    It was on Craigslist. I bought it from a YouTuber called CorvetteBen. The car is in pretty good shape considering how long it's been sitting. it still has tags from 1995 on it. the subframe and engine bay have been painted black, just really dirty and needs to get cleaned up.

8. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Looks like a great start to a great project! Looking forward to seeing pics as you work on her!

9. LoweRider

LoweRider New Member

Jun 26, 2017
    TX, USA
    umm..no? lol

10. LoweRider

LoweRider New Member

Jun 26, 2017
    TX, USA
    Bit of a hectic day, but I dropped the block and rotating assembly off at the machine shop today. Wasnt able to get pics because I was in a hurry (did it during my lunch break at work lol). Need to wait a couple weeks before I get them back. In the meantime, I have the heads, cam, springs, and gaskets on the way.