1981 Z28 - looking for mild modification ideas

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by NHRA 3168, Oct 11, 2017.

1. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    Actually it’s not that easy to take it back - it just sounds good to say so. No one here has forgotten that people may do with their property what they want...but poor financial decisions are just that. Modifiying a collectible model of anything is like throwing cash in the trash can- but hey, it’s his money he may do with it what he will - right? There are good candidates for mods and there are bad candidates for mods.

And everyone seems to forget that these debates spring up from solicitations for opinions. Opinions are what have been offered and the OP may do with them as he sees fit.

BTW, have I mentioned I hate autocorrect and the predictive function? Took me twice as long to write this stupid post and I’ve probably still got errors thanks to those two marvels of technology.

7.62fmj likes this.
  2. Chevyforever

Chevyforever New Member

Jan 4, 2011
    ontario
    Quite interested in the claim that K&N actually flow and filter less than an OE filter ?

3. Lee45

Lee45 New Member

May 28, 2017
    They flowed just fine on a 600 something horsepower big block on the latest engine masters. Not on YouTube yet. Numbers talk. They test like 20 air filter combinations and they found the type of base was a bigger deal than the filter. 4 inch kand n killed like 1hp BTW

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  4. Lee45

Lee45 New Member

May 28, 2017
    It's his car. Stock is boring, hop up life is where it's at. I guess if it was a early z28 itd be a shame but those are in museums anyways and nobody drives em. And headers, intake, carb, and definitely gears will wake it up a bit, atleast enough to be a blast to drive. Not killer fast but fun. I had a smogger 350 once too and it was pretty fun with only those mods, now if it has a good leak down and promising oil pressure, heads and a cam will really wake it up. Shift kit is a good one too.

5. Z28zz383

Z28zz383 Veteran Member

May 11, 2012
    Florida
    Biggest, easiest gain is a set of headers. Easy to install and gets rid of the bottle neck single exhaust. It's the 1st thing I did to my 81 and I kept the orig stuff. Add the transverse pypes set up and easy to get 20+ hp with out touching the motor. Sounds faster too. 2nd option is to swap the motor with a higher hp crate engine keeping the orig intact. Same money when you add it up in the end. Don't do anything to the orig mill. imo