1981 Z28 - Exhaust

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by hgoodwiniii, Jan 18, 2018.

1. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 25, 2004
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Ok, thanks for all the suggestions; I really appreciate it. Looks like 2.5" - 3" is about what everyone is going with. Do you get any HP gain from a H pipe or X pipe?

2. largestar

largestar Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Yes, and it is known to help with interior droning. I always made my own exhaust at the muffler shop, UNTIL, I ordered a premade kit. That’s the way I’m going from now on. FYI, I have a 305 four speed in an 81 z. I’m doing shorty or mid length 1 5/8 headers and 2 1/2 exhaust with an x pipe. Should be a nice little boost in power and mpg. Any larger pipe I think would be hurting mpg and performance

3. hgoodwiniii

Dec 25, 2004
    Houston, Texas, USA
  4. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    You have all those years to draw from.Then all the custom set ups as well, It depends on your State emissions laws. The "sound you want .And your pocket book.Good luck to you.

Attached Files:

largestar likes this.
  5. slayer021175666

slayer021175666 Veteran Member

Feb 29, 2016
    Idaho
    I would stick to a 2.5 inch system. Whatever you do, I would make sure to get mandrel bends! They don't "CHOKE!" down in diameter where the bends are made. They stay at 2.5 inches all the way along! I actually recommend the Jegs system. Great price and good materials. Fits our cars really good and easy to install. BUT! Don't buy thier shitty knock off "Flowmasters!" Just buy the pipe and hardware kit. Use your own REAL Flowmasters. I have had nothing but problems with the Jegs "Flowmasters". Mock the kit and mufflers up under the car with the provided clamps from the kit. tighten the clamps just enough to hold it all solid enough to drive to the shop and let them weld it. My local shop charged me $60 and it looks Pro as all hell! Now, remove all the ugly clamps and admire your clean looking mandrel bent pipes!:D

6. hgoodwiniii

Dec 25, 2004
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Thanks slayer021175666 for the feedback. Which Jegs system are you suggesting?

7. slayer021175666

slayer021175666 Veteran Member

Feb 29, 2016
    Idaho
    This one.
    http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/30549/10002/-1
    304 stainless headers on ebay for less than $200 bucks, too! I haven't tried them but, the specs are good and they are getting good feedback and reviews on them. Your ass is always covered on eBay so if you buy them and have fitment or any other issues, you can always get your money back.

8. Chevyforever

Chevyforever Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2011
    ontario
    My 1980 Z28 has the OE rear sway bar, any idea what mods are req'd to install the above mentioned Jeg's kit ?

9. hgoodwiniii

Dec 25, 2004
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Same here; My car has OE rear sway bar.

10. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Why not go to custom muffler / exh shop in your area and get a custom fit system made to fit your vehicle