1981 Z28 - Exhaust

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by hgoodwiniii, Jan 18, 2018.

1. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 25, 2004
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Hi all, I'm getting to the point I need to start thinking about what exhaust I want to run on my 81. The engine is a stock GM Crate 350 with long tube hooker headers. I'm running a Holley 670 with Weiland Alum intake right now but plan to switch over to EFI very soon.

I just I am just looking for ideas and interested in hearing what exhaust others are running such as brand, size etc. and how they like it.

Thanks.

largestar likes this.
  2. Chevyforever

Chevyforever Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2011
    ontario
    Also interested in the recommendations as I am also considering a system for my 1980 Z28.

largestar likes this.
  3. 77camarottop

77camarottop Veteran Member

Nov 21, 2013
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    i have put this exhaust on numerous f body's all with success. 2.5" pipes with H pipe or X pipe with flowmaster 40 or good knock off flowmaster 40. Usually get it for around 450-550 a car. you can probably save around 50 or so without H or X pipe. the sound is great even with a stock no header car like one of mine.

4. silver81

silver81 Veteran Member

Mar 8, 2008
    Western Wyoming
    Look at Pypes sg11 system; 2 1/2 inch full dual with X pipe and choice of three different mufflers. all hangers and clamps included but mine is welded in. About $425. All stainless, welded mufflers, really good stuff. Fit great on my 81 with a 350 crate motor.

Chevyforever likes this.
  5. redriderjf87

redriderjf87 Veteran Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Quad Cities, IL
    I second the Pypes systems. I have a pair of Race Pro's (only bought the mufflers) with longtubes and no mid-pipe, 2.5" duals all the way back. They sound beefy and are loud enough to be fun without getting in trouble. I'm pretty happy with the quality but to be fair I've only had them for 2 years and don't really drive the car much in the elements.

Video quality isn't the greatest but you can get an idea in the clip.

6. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    I just put Pypes with x and violator mufflers on my otherwise stock 80 Z.. love the sound

7. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

Jan 8, 2004
    N. Massapequa, NY, USA
    3rd on the pypes. I have headmen headers and 3 inch dual exhaust to x pipe to the tail. Love em.

[​IMG]

8. 79Zee28

79Zee28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northern, NJ
    I had the Pypes system installed a few years ago. My shop welded the sections together. It looks very neat and sounds great.

9. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    Mine has Factory log type manifolds and what looks like Flow master type mufflers trough 2 1/2" pipes that came with the car. I am surprised at how good it sounds. I've got a GMC truck 305 2bbl at this point. The car came with stainless headers not sure of the brand. The were in a box unmarked. Probably China made. I'll put them on sometime later.

10. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    I've always just gone with local muffler shop, just let them build a 2.5" system, that way I know it fits and if there's an issue, I know where I can take it back to.