1981 Z28 dash bezel removal

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by 733wfo, Dec 14, 2017.

1. 733wfo

733wfo New Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Wyoming
    I have an 81 Z28 that I am trying to remove the dash bezel to get to the back of the gauge cluster to change speedo cable. I have removed all the allen screws, the cigarette lighter wiring, and wiring for the dummy lights that are attached to the bezel. It is loose all the way across until you get to the head light and wiper switch. I also removed the nut on the headlight switch so that is loose. It acts like the wiper switch is holding it. Any help would be appreciated.

2. 70 Proof

70 Proof Veteran Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Southern Utah
    Is the switch headlight completely free from the cluster? If not that may be what is preventing the cluster from being removed. If the headlight knob and stem are still attached to the switch you can remove it by pulling the knob out all the way while reaching to the backside of the cluster and depressing a spring loaded button that should release the stem. If its actually the wiper switch that is the problem then removing the headlight switch components should give you a little more access to the wiper switch.
    BTW- There are "How To" videos available on You Tube and the Fbody Warehouse website that will give you more info on cluster removal.

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    The wiring harness plug tends to hang up on the edge of the dash pad.
    It's one of those things where a little bit of interference upon assembly was accepted even though disassembly is much more difficult.

You will need to remove the clock knob too. (Small screw in middle of the knob.)

Pull the right side away from the dash until you can shift the whole thing over to the point of contact with the steering column.
    Support it with your right hand.
    Now... Grab the area between the two small gauges with your left hand and pull the bezel towards you and wiggle the harness plug past the edge of the dash.

Good Luck!

4. StrongSurvivor

StrongSurvivor Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Bold Springs, GA.
    Can you tell me the size and length of the fasteners that hold that dash bezel in place? A pic would be appreciated if possible.

5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Those bezel screws (79-81) are the same as the ones which hold the shifter bezel in place.

6. Elfmaze

Elfmaze Veteran Member

May 23, 2002
    Pittsburgh PA
    I'm on a screw hunt too, need the four screws that hold the gauge cluster in the dash... cant find any cars at the u pull it anymore

7. Silver75

Silver75 Veteran Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Georgetown, PA
    I can send you the four screws that hold the gauge cluster into place. I am in the Pittsburgh area as well. Send me a PM with your address.

Dave

8. Goodwrench1965

Goodwrench1965 Veteran Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    The speedo cable itself can be a pain and prevent instrument panel from moving out. Have you unscrew the put on Earth cable from the back?

9. phat80

phat80 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Victoria BC
    JM2cW...why are you pulling the cluster to change the speedo cable? The speedo cable unplugs from the back 9 bitch to get at then you can snake the cable out and install the new one. You will not get the cluster moved out enough to unhook the cable as long as the cable is attached to the speedo. Hope that helps.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  10. Dutch169

Dutch169 Member

Jan 24, 2015
    NY
    I got the same color dash. Are you using the vinyl dye on it?