1981 Rear spoiler installation

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by AAlice, Nov 20, 2017.

1. AAlice

AAlice New Member

Nov 20, 2017
    Hello everyone, New member here.
    I have a 1981 Camaro RS and have purchased a rear spoiler for it. What I need is any information on mounting it. It has 3 parts to it. I have the stud kit to fasten the pieces too. Is there a template out there to purchase for drilling the holes required ? The trunk has the access areas but of course...not the holes. Any and all assistance is appreciated. Thanks.

2. jamieg285

jamieg285 Veteran Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Luton, England
    I have this job to do soon. I know that when I took the spoiler off a donor lid, the holes were central left-to-right in the cut outs, as the socket only just fitted. Not too sure on the front-to-back location though, I wish I'd taken pics now.

3. AAlice

AAlice New Member

Nov 20, 2017
    ....I will wait for some info from as more members but thanks. If there is nothing but fend for myself I thought what I would do is make new studs from bolts and have them just long enough to barely touch the lid and with a point. Then hold the spoiler above where it will go and place it down to mark the lid. ( I hope not though )

4. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 5, 2005
    Rockford, MN
    This has been done before by others... several discussions if you do a search. There is more than one way of doing it.
    Using the centering studs is the most accurate. you can make your own or buy them.
    https://www.mcmaster.com/#center-punches/=1ac9ryx

5. tbrostrom

tbrostrom Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Portland, NY
    I don't know how to post the link directly but there is a detailed how to on this site under body restoration titled
    How to add a rear tail spoiler to a plain jane