1981 Camaro Z28

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by MP81, Dec 21, 2017.

1. MP81

MP81 Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Washington Township, MI
    Thanks! Will do!

It really fit quite well. I have a small issue with the right tailpipe resting on the bottom of the quarter panel, which makes for one hell of a resonance/vibration when driving (especially going from a dead stop), but that is not likely the fault of the kit - just a small adjustment I need to make. I was real happy with how well it, and the long tubes, tucked up.

I still need to get the tailpipes welded on, but that isn't high on my list of things to do at the moment. I'm likely to tuck them back farther than where the ends of the piping will position them currently, but I have to play around with all that.

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    A 2x4 with ends trimmed make excellent exhaust pipe adjusting tools, right next to a dead blow BFH.

3. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    Like where the tips ended up. Try twisting the hanger to adjust pipe in between quarter and leaf. It's a tight fit

MP81 likes this.
  4. MP81

MP81 Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Washington Township, MI
    I've tried kicking that tailpipe with my heel, but it didn't want to budge. But yeah, something like either of those methods should do it. I have everything band-clamped (aside from where the hangers are at behind the mufflers), so I can loosen and adjust as necessary.

I think that right tailpipe just needs to be centered in the cutout like the left side one is.

5. djpage

djpage New Member

Sep 11, 2017
    Brighton, Michigan
    GREAT Post!! The photos are great!! I just got an '81 Z28 as well and am slowly going through it. I will be following your progress!! I just replaced the carb on mine and hope to start into the suspension soon.

MP81 likes this.
  6. MP81

MP81 Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Washington Township, MI
    Thanks! I do tend to try and document as best as I can - just something I've always done for all of my cars. I used to do it "in-progress" as well, but that was with my old digital camera, and I don't really feel like getting this one all dirty, haha.

I'm hoping to get my ass in gear, get my propane tank filled soon, and get started on this, but I'm just so lazy!

7. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    looks like you are coming a long ways /Are you going paint the car its stock color? what ever you do just have fun with it.

Attached Files:

MP81 likes this.
  8. MP81

MP81 Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Washington Township, MI
    Yup - certainly have. And plenty more distance to go!

So, the intention is the keep the car in its 35-years-in-the-LA-sun-also-my-uncle-overused-a-buffer patina, but I have some damage on the passenger door, and the area on the quarter right behind it. I also have a couple rust holes right at the edge of the air induction scoop, on the hood (at the front). A couple more rust spots on the doors are likely from the window felts being long gone.

The door rust spots won't affect the patina if I have them fixed, since the paint still exists down there - and even the section of the door/quarter panel still have most of their paint. My area of main concern (for keeping the patina) is fixing the rust holes on the hood. I will more than likely have to find someone who is real good at painting faux patina - or I'll have to recreate it myself.

If this is not at all possible, then yes, the car would get repainted in the factory maroon color. But that's the absolute final resort. A car with this much patina, but with a killer suspension, a technical-style larger wheel to go along with the added handling, and an LS engine (with a lot of power) is really what I'd love to go for.

largestar likes this.
  9. largestar

largestar Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Keep us updated. I’m really enjoying your progress. I have an 81 as well

MP81 likes this.
  10. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    Its called a "sleeper' .I have seen cars on the street and in magazines with real and fake patina,